Emails about customer changes

When changes are made to a customer’s information, we get an email telling us about it.

How do we know what the information was “before” the change? Or can we? Or what was changed?

Our old software would send email letting us know if it was changed by the customer or by the POS. It would also show us what it was vs the new information. Once in a long while a server would mess up a person’s information. That way we could revert back to the old.

Is there a way to know this?

Did you get any kind of response about this? We have the same question–it takes time to try to figure it out.

The main question I pull out of this is “How does Vin65 back up our data and what are the restore points?”

I’ve, knock on wood, not heard of mass corruption issues with Vin65.

Knowing what was changed and who made the change can be helpful in solving issues that arise when the changes are made imperfectly, either by staff (who need more training) or by customers (which might indicate the web site needs a tweak.) But you know this :wink:

I would probably welcome a simple setup where all changes are sent to a specified email address.

1 Like

We are having changes sent to one of our emails and it tells us if the customer made the change or if the change was made on the POS.

OK, our old software did this also, but we received an email which showed the old info in one column and the new information in another column with the changed items in red.

It would actually ask us to approve the changes which was nice. When a customer changes their info on-line it is probably always better, but once in a while we would have mistake made from the POS or from the backend which we didn’t want to approve.

Part of my current problem is because of Google and my LastPass program autofiling when I call up a contact from the backend. I am just wondering about my or my staff currupting the data.

You can just totally exclude the vin65.com domain in LastPass, which will help a lot.

If this is a feature users really want, I think it would work better as a change log that can be viewed, searched and downloaded from the website than ad-hoc emails.

1 Like

Thanks, I am trying to do that now.

That would be great also. I like a tracking to know “who” did what, so that we can work on training.

For example we have everyone put their initials on the notes when transfering or changing inventory. I know there may be another way to see this, but this way it shows up in the main report. Easy to see who to question about an inconsistancy. See if we need to do more training or fix a software ware problem.

So, now after working with the program more is looks like the email shows us what the customers information WAS. Then you have to look the customer up to see what the changes ARE NOW.

Is this correct?

I really liked my old software that showed in the email the old info in one column, the new in the second column, changes were in red, and all I had to do was check the approval box and the changes were made.

Thanks

The reason I suggested emails is that a proper change log - journalling - has to be built into the database from day one, and Vin65 opted not to do that (it’s a tradeoff, journalling can take a lot of extra storage/cost).

An email alert can be generated in the moment since all data is available. Trying to propose something possibly doable is all.

1 Like

Good point. Let’s see if @Brent or @SarahBarwin have any thoughts on the matter?

so, yes, the system could be better, but could anyone explain to me how it works now?

Thank you for your help. :slight_smile:

Good feedback! Change logs are something we see value in and would like to investigate for the future but it’s not on the immediate horizon.

I understand that we can’t have everything right now, but can you tell me what we are getting right now?

Is it the new changes, and have those changes already been made to the contact data base?

So, there is no way to know what it was before the change?

Thank you

So back to my original question:

When we receive an email that says that a customer’s information has been changed, is that their old data shown on the email or does that information show the new changed information?