Preventing Abandoned Carts

What if anything is everybody using to prevent abandoned carts? I am looking into a widget called OptinMonster to try and convert the sale of what would be an abandoned cart, but it is 30.00 a month and I don’t know if that is worth it if there is something better out there that works with WineDirect (Vintools). I can’t seem to get a Carrot to work in such a manner and the action emails about abandoned carts don’t get the conversions I would like to see.

A lot of these beacon tools (like OptinMonster or Intercom) tend to be built for B2B business leads. We use something on some of our sites that pop up a chat beacon or bot when certain criteria is hit. It works OK, but you’ll really have to scientifically measure what motivates your people to complete a transaction.

I’ll note that OptinMonster’s killer feature, exit-detection, which detects mouse movement, isn’t compatible with mobile devices that don’t have a cursor.

1 Like

Hi Ben,
I haven’t seen these tools as helpful with a product like wine. I know you know, purchasing wine online has some additional barriers than purchasing a pair of shoes and I believe consumers abandon their carts for different reasons like compliance, vintage preference or ease of receiving their wines and if the consumer had more information their sale would have been completed. I have found following up whenever possible with a phone call or if you are emailing that it comes from an individual, not the general email address is more productive and is actually opened (!) results in stronger retention. Our conversations generate additional insights, and in some cases has led us to make changes in our P2P, clarify messaging and re-evaluate costs resulting in less abandoned carts overall. We also may need to come up with solutions specific to their situation.
If it’s doable I’d say reaching out to the member directly regarding their abandoned cart generates greater wine sales and stronger loyalty overall.

4 Likes