Negative Charges

I am working on a solution for a client that does in-house deposits for a refill - in essence they charge a fee for every bottle, then the customer brings bottles back and they get refunded.

The challenge is TR workflow: Take the example of Mr. Test McTesterson. Mr. McTesterson likes to come into the tasting room every week on his way home from Acme Widget Co and grab a bottle of the delightful Malvasia made at my clients winery. He pays for the bottle and the $1 deposit, but because Mr. McTesterson is not permitted to disclose his company e-mail address he prefers to be a walk in customer. After a couple of months Mr. McTesterson stops by the TR on a busy weekend with his 24 bottles to get his $24 refund, but since it is Lent he isn’t drinking, so he does not want to make a purchase. Imma O. Verwhelmed, the new tasting room associate turns to you and asks how to ring up the refund.

What say you, WineDirect Hive Mind? What is the best and fastest way to run this transaction. We have a few options that we are using now, but none I would call slick, intuitive, or fast.

Any thoughts @ElJefe or @carisen?

Pick one.

1. Dude needs a personal email address.

2. Policy is to charge for the bottle(s) at time of initial purchase. Future refills do not charge for the bottle. There is no deposit refund or buy back. The few beer growler policies I know of work this way.

3. Dude with no email better remember his initial order number.

4. They are clearly your bottles. Give him the cash, it’s just $24.

Currently we are doing #5 - charge him $1 on a misc. item, do a big exchange for a total value of minus $25.

I pushed for #2 or value comes back to a gift card.

Client wants #6 - the ability to “pay” people from WineDirect using their payment gateway as I use Apple pay cash and texts.

Ugh. You can create negative $ product on the POS.

But maybe I’m not understanding the question because I don’t know how you got to a minus $25 value.

How the $ get to the customer depends on the payment situation. If dude doesn’t have a personal email he can give you, how is he going to have Apple pay?

ps: You’re the high powered consultant. Assert #2 is the industry standard and tell them to do it. :wink:

1 Like

Hi @jay - I think what you are currently doing is the quickest solution to handle this scenario. It sounds like you are creating an order for $1 and then performing a POS Exchange on that transaction for -$25, so, in aggregate, it totals to an order for -$24.

If the customer is only coming back with one bottles, it’s probably easier to perform a Refund (not a Return) instead. You will need to find the original order number and refund the item partially for $1. However, in the scenario you are describing, there will be 24 orders and you won’t want to find each one and refund them so the POS Exchange should work best there.

Using POS Exchange is a workaround solution and as @ElJefe mentioned, it will likely be best to implement a no bottle refund or buybacks policy.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Ha - I think you would be amazed at how often that doesn’t work.

1 Like

Yeah - when there are 5 plus orders it is a bear to go any other way then what we came up with. I was just hoping that there was a magic trick that I didn’t know that would let me run an order from scratch with a negative value without the extra refund/exchange step.

Ugh. You can create negative $ product on the POS. -**True, but there still has to be a positive value for the order for the system to charge, then there will need to be the return/refund/exchange after, no? **

But maybe I’m not understanding the question because I don’t know how you got to a minus $25 value. Because of the need to have a positive transaction for the system to take a card, so you would have to complete the $1 order then refund it for the whole total of $25 to effectively pay him $24

How the $ get to the customer depends on the payment situation. If dude doesn’t have a personal email he can give you, how is he going to have Apple pay? The Apple pay was an example of how he wants the system to operate - the client wants to have the ability to issue real credit to a customer from his bank account, through WD onto the clients Credit Card.

Sorry I wasn’t super clear on round 2 there…