Bounced wine club contacts

So we’ve got quite a few wine club members who’s emails have bounced, and we’re going to contact them by phone to get their emails updated. They’ve already been cleaned once, if we go directly in to the vin65 contact listing and update the email, are they marked clean or blank? We don’t want to pay a fee to clean an email we just confirmed over the phone, so we need to know the best practice for updating a clean contact.

Vin65 needs to post a state diagram of this email status system. I can never remember how these things are supposed to work.

I think that the status will not become Blank, because the issue of cleaning club members doesn’t seem to come up when we change their addresses.

But if they do become a Blank, there are two ways to deal with that:

1. Enter the address via a signup form on your website with the opt-in box checked. This will send them a confirmation email. You might want to explain this whilst they are on the phone.

2. Pay the two cents. They are club members for pete’s sake. :wink:

Suggestion: Put a Flag (Note) in their account so that, if they visit the TR, you can catch them then.

1 Like

It’s not so much the 2 cents, as paying 2 cents, and then paying 2 cents again, and then another 2 cents if the email addresses need an update again…it’s just a superfluous maintenance fee that I personally find incredibly obnoxious.

Do you process club shipments through Vin65? If so, they’d be marked from blank to purchasers, so you wouldn’t pay a fee. I know that we had to pay to clean the club member list because we aren’t processing club shipments through Vin65 (it was before my time, but apparently they were double charging customers on a consistent basis).

If we have to go through a form on the website to update it, then that’s exactly what we’ll do, but it would be faster and easier to just update them through the vin65 admin panel. I’ll do whichever one avoids the penalty fee.

I do. On several occasions I’ve changed a member’s email and then re-sent an email to the new address without cleaning. (And STILL wishing they would tell us the email address sent to in Manage Emails!)

That would be helpful. We can always run a test update on the first club member, and if they aren’t marked clean we can set up a form after that. At least now we know who’s not getting the emails.

Thanks for the tip about the tasting room, too, if we can’t get a hold of people by phone pretty quick that’ll be the next step.

Well, apparently they will get marked “blank”. I have to consider that a bug, hopefully it gets fixed soon. Paying to clean once is annoying enough, paying again and again is a frustrating waste.