Club cancellations

I wish there was a way for all cancellation requests to come in through one place. I know that’s a dream like world peace, but until then I have to accept that they will phone and leave a message on the wrong person’s voicemail; or just reply to your last email; or even (really) send a nice handwritten note.

One thing that drives me to distraction, and I wonder if it happens to the rest of you…

I follow a very specific workflow to cancel a member. As soon as I see the request I go straight to the Contact, edit the club - setting the cancel date to yesterday so it takes effect immediately - note the reason - and save. I then click on Manage General, scroll down, and verify that the membership shows as canceled.

Only then do I go back to the request and reply to it, making whatever pitch I can to get them to change their minds. (Hey, sometimes it works.)

But sometimes, for reasons I don’t understand, the cancellation still doesn’t happen. I usually remember the request and the conversation, but bam - on the next club run lo and behold, there is an order for that member, and the membership isn’t canceled. And I have one pissed off ex-member.

It’s like there is a ghost in the machine.

Does this happen with anyone else?

I’ve been tempted to take a screen shot for every cancelled membership just to prove I did it. I’m getting pretty close to doing just that…

1 Like

I think this has happened to me. I mean, that’s the excuse that I’m going with but honestly I think I have experienced this a couple times. Not nearly certain enough for me to be making any accusations.

Roger that. I put this out there to see if a) others had that nagging feeling and b) if someone had a magic system to avoid it. :wink:

Maybe try putting a note on the account as well for a few months as a test?

It’s also possible your staff is re-adding members at the bar? I know that’s happened to me, despite absolute ban on doing so.

A great solution would be a complete, logged history of the account. Something like the history on the order screen. For example:

8:00 AM 12/7/2016 - Admin Panel - ElJefe - Membership edited
9:00 AM 12/7/2016 - POS - Barfly - Membership edited.
10:00 AM 12/7/2016 - Admin Panel - Ryan - Credit Card Edited

and so on.

Something I asked for a long time ago. I’m guessing that’s not happening. However…

Helpful Hint: You need the old version of Contacts. You can still get there like this:

This is useful info that they have lost in the newer version of Contacts - I wish they would recover it! (ahem @brent @zach)

Not a chance, but I hear you. We do all of that via paper forms…

Wouldn’t it be nice to be able to prevent certain users from editing customers? I hope that ends up being part of the “Security Groups” in the future

1 Like

Great tip! That is really useful. Seems like that would be trivial to add to the new version of the contacts.

1 Like

Indeed. I put in a(nother) feature request, you should too.

1 Like