Contacts unable to retrieve or reset their password

When my club members (in the general case, Contacts) forget their password, they cannot reset it because the system thinks that the reset link is invalid. Does anyone else have this problem (or a solution)? I recently sent out a club notice, but this error is preventing members from logging in and specifying their choices for a shipment. I sent a bug report into Vin65 last Friday (i.e., over 5 days ago) and have received no resolution–and little to no response. This is a big problem for me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A more detailed description of the problem: A user clicks the forgot password. Up pops the form asking for their email address and the captcha. User fills in information and receives an email. User clicks on “Reset Password” button in the email, and Vin65 responds by saying that the “Reset Link is invalid or expired”. Since all this happens within 5 minutes, there is no reason why this should be so.

Again, any hints or help or ideas are appreciated.

Same thing here. It’s wine club time, and our wine club members are unable to log in through our website. Which means, I am getting lots more phone calls then I should be. What\s going on???

To add a data point: I just tried this on our website, and the whole process works as intended, so it’s not a system-wide problem.

Have you ever customized your password reset email? Perhaps something got messed up in the process?

I believe I have figured out the problem. In my customized password reset email, I utilize the auto-populated field //MaskedPassword//. Although this field used to display the first few characters of the password and masked out the rest, sometime in the last six months (I’m guessing on timeframe) Vin65 changed the behavior of this field to mask the ENTIRE password and include a Forget Password Link. Since my email already contained a Forgot Password button, this no doubt screwed up the entire logic and state of the system.

Thus by taking out the //MaskedPassword// field, my email now works. Interestingly, the //MaskedPassword// field no longer appears in the on-line documentation!

Warning, venting ahead: Of course, if Vin65 had simply told me (and any other affected users) about the change, I would not have to go through this extreme pain (i.e., delaying my entire spring wine club shipment!!!).

1 Like

You’re right, depreciating a feature like this should have been included in the New Features or Bug Fixes section of the documentation.
Even better would be a comprehensive changelog!