Customer Importer - Overwrite Fields with Blanks?

Does anybody know how I can use the customer importer to overwrite fields with text to blank fields? I have a few messy contacts I’d like to clean up.

@ElJefe is the master of this.

1 Like

Thanks but I’ve not done any customer importing to speak of. Suggest you create a test contact or two, read the docs carefully, and run some experiments to see what works and doesn’t work. And when you got to do the real import, do a chunk at a time and check the results.

You can easily overwrite fields on customer records with data using their customer number as your key. However, blanks aren’t read by the importer.

I’ve re-imported customer email addresses with a file that contained only customer number and email addresses - every other column blank. It left the other data on the customer records intact and only changed the email.

maybe there’s a way to import a ‘space’ or something but I haven’t tested it.

Once upon a time when I was on your side of things and before the existence of the Do Not Contact flag in contact accounts, I imported a bunch of customers with the Source Code of Do Not Call. Things changed and I was asked to undo the import. You can’t. I settled for overwriting it with something benign like “.”.

PS you wouldn’t want to import to overwrite with blanks on customer import anyway. Er, at least I wouldn’t want that.

I do agree that for the vast majority of cases this is true. But when you have fields that really should be blank, there should be a less arduous way. I have some contacts that I evidently screwed up an import for, so their first/last or last/company is in the wrong place. After fixing names I still have data in fields that should have no data. Two ideas:

1. An option at the import you can select to reset the customer data to match exactly what your file says, or

2. A tag of some kind that you could put in your customer import file in the field you want to overwrite as blank.

Hey @danjimerson, you’re totally right. Can I ask you to submit that as a feature request? You’ll get a nice reply from Sarah. I promise.

Alternatively, maybe an invisible character (like a line break) can be imported to overwrite a field. If I have a few moments, I’ll test that today.

We’re all pretty much superusers in this thread so I see the value of having this functionality for people who will not misuse it. I would be worried if I asked anyone else to use that kind of functionality.

2 Likes