Email Verification System Email

According to documentation this email allows subscribers to double opt in. Can someone explain to me what that means? It looks like this system email can’t be deleted so I want to make sure I understand why it is being sent and how it differs from “Subscriber Confirmation”. Thank you!

Someone will no doubt post a better definition but you do really want and should be very happy to have double opt-in, it completes a positive feedback loop:

1. By doing two actions the prospect has affirmed that it really is them and that they really do want to hear from you.

2. You also have verification that the prospect didn’t misspell their email address.

3. You don’t have to pay $0.02 to Clean them.

1 Like

Jeff has it covered but I always enjoy putting my two cents in.

And I’ve delved into deliverability and inbox placement pretty deep in my work. Had to research best practice for our own needs. As well as I’ve been really enveloped in opt in optimization.

I apologize in advance for being ‘that guy’, but I just really like this stuff.

Double opt-in, as Jeff said, is merely a positive feedback loop that ESP’s can choose to require or not require. The reason they require it is, it is the only way to positively validate that that specific user has given the sender permission to contact them.

Even cleaning the lists technically don’t keep you out of triggering spam traps. Only double opt in. As they’re checking if the email inbox pings correct. Well, spam traps are able to be configured to have a positive server ping, making it through list cleaning.

So the only way to validate is if the actual user opens the email and clicks the correct link. An “are you human?” if you will.

ESP’s will choose to use it to make managing sender reputations automatic.

Other ESPs will allow their clients to send without any sort of validation. So technically you could send to any scraped web address out there that a “email list selling company” would provide. Which makes this a little hairball.

The old system used to use contact type to trigger off of system contact_type tags such as Newsletter, Subscribers, Unsubscribe, etc.

In moving to send grid email_status was either brought in or started being used for data architecture reasons and integrating with send grid.

Email Status needs to be cleaned or double opt in in order for send grid to give it the thumbs up.

If it’s null or blank, you need to clean it. (this is subscriber confirmation email without using double opt in). which is a one click user path to be on the list instead of a three or four click path. You just clean.

IN THE MARKETERS WORLD:
I’ve heard really good arguments for double opt in being a good thing (even though you have to go through all that trouble and have people drop off because they don’t go check their inbox and click after). But a double opt in is an indicator that your contact really wants your mail and is going to be really engaged.

Some email marketers even make their subscriber acquisition strategy involve a quiz to weed out and qualify their contacts to be on their list. Which is cool. Higher engagement, lower sending fees etc.

An actionable thing: Since you have some momentum in them engaging with your emails at that point in time, (if) you can custom configure the last touch point, wether an email or the success confirm page, you can use that momentum. Instead of having their engagement dead end and say “look forward to contacting you” you can have a call to action that points them towards engaging on a piece of content or a coupon or some other lead magnet of sorts that accomplishes your online business goals.

The “would you like fries with that?” tactic.

There’s more cool opt in tactics. Most of them become system limitation dependent pretty quickly though.

If you want to read the manual (its a bit dry) you can do that below:
Email Status Documentation: https://documentation.vin65.com/Contacts/Email-Documents/Email-Statuses#What-Are-Email-Statuses

4 Likes

Super interesting! I really appreciate your incite. Thank you!

Good to know! Thank you, Jeff!

1 Like