Would you like to stay on the mailing list?

The other day I received an email from a company who’s email list I’m on, asking if I would like to keep receiving their emails. Apparently I hadn’t opened an email from them in awhile, and it was their way of tidying up their database. Is there anyway to set this up in Vin65 so if I send it people can select “yes” and have their email marked as “opt in” and if they select “no” they’re unsubscribed? My understanding is that if I send the email with the double opt in link using the mass email tool, it’ll direct to an error page, so I’m not really sure how to make it work. Any ideas?

1 Like

So, you’re trying to get contacts to unsubscribe?

I’d maybe approach it like, “Do you want to receive fewer emails?” and then fork them into a list you market to differently and far less frequently.

When we look at our contacts that have become disengaged, we try to figure out why and how we can get them back in the fold. We use a third-party EMS to do most of this marketing, so we have better tools in place to do so.

2 Likes

Ok, so how do we get a yes button that marks them as subscribed?

How would you suggest shuffling them off - direct them to a form that puts them to a new contact type, then remove everybody in that contact type from the general newsletter list?

Would there be an easy way to set up the form so we could give them options - “I’d like emails about events, I’d like emails about wine sales, I’d like updates about the restaurant” and have the form sort them in to contact types when they fill it out?

Also, yes, I am trying to get people to unsubscribe, if they are legitimately no longer interested. Sorting them into more relevant lists would be a good thing, the hard part would be putting in the man hours if there isn’t an automatic option - it’s a pretty large list, and we do have a good open rate, but I’m guessing there’s several hundred people who haven’t opened the last 10 emails.

This is going to be tricky if you want to do it entirely in Vin65. In the email you intend to send, you could have, say, three links: Keep Feeding Me Emails, Fewer Emails, Once or Twice a Year (or whatever segments you want to define). Each link would probably have to go to a corresponding form tied to matching contact types that they’d need to fill out.

Then when you send out your email campaigns, you’ll need to known what audience they are intended for.

Honestly, this isn’t something I would attempt using Vin65. Vin65 has email tools, but it is not currently a sophisticated system for email marketing. If you’re batching and blasting newsletters about bud break out to 4,000 people, It’ll work alright, but it’s never going to be on par with real EMS platforms.

I also wouldn’t unsubscribe people. Usually they aren’t interested because you as a winery are not providing compelling and relevant content and offers. I would exhaust all your options trying to figure them out before giving up. And instead of unsubscribing them, I would just identify and isolate them and not market to them. Once you actually unsubscribe them, you close a lot of doors that may not even exist yet.

TL;DR
Don’t do this through Vin65 and try to re-engage those folks before giving up.

1 Like

Thinking about it a little more, I could do one form, let them pick from a few options, and then use the list builder to put people who selected the different options into different contact types.

I think that would work, so long as they decide to open this email.

How will you handle future additions to your contact list?

We could use the separate email lists only when people stop opening emails on the the regular list, just check on the list every 3 - 6 months and give them the option, we could update the standard mailing list form and repeat the list builder process for emails since we run the list builder every time anyway, or we have to build separate forms and landing pages for the new lists and hope that taking the extra step to click on the link doesn’t cause new sign ups to drop off.

If I unsubscribe to Vin65’s emails, am I automatically unsubscribed from your 3rd party EMS?

You’re suppressed in it.

1 Like