Possible bug, error with search in Base3

Alert Base3 team: @carisenr, @Andrea, @Karson

I’ve included <v65:search></v65:search> in a site-in-progress, and the search is resulting in error.htm. This tag isn’t showing in red in the Base3 tag index/docs. (I also noticed the code output in the docs doesn’t exactly match the actual code output, not sure if that’s related.)

FYI, I’ve made a lot of revisions to the appearance of the search bar/button, so I eliminated those to test and get the same result, in case you go look at the site live. (Lindsay Masten’s/LML/Juice Base3 sandbox.)

Screencast showing the issue: http://recordit.co/VsEwg6hZyv
— in the video I show the issue with my styling removed (proof :wink: ) it just takes a second to reload the page with my cache killer on.

On the topic of search, will the Base3 search include the autofill option available in v2?

2 Likes

Hi @Lindsay

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. As you know, our Base3 tools are still in BETA and I’ll get our design team to look into this further for you.

In the meantime, you may want to add Google search (which does autofill)

Hope this helps!

Hi @carisenr, thanks for responding and forwarding this on. :slight_smile: I know we’re still in beta, but figured this tag was safe since it wasn’t shown in the docs as being unfinished. #betalife

I’d prefer to not use Google search on this site (between us, I sort of hate it). Plus it includes ads unless the client opts for the premium version at $100/year. :slight_frown: Could you let me know what the team’s plans are for the Base3 search functionality and ETA for rollout? Search is a big component of this site—front and center!—and the client’s looking to launch within the month. If that’s unrealistic I need to know ASAP and amend my feelings about embedded google search.

… I also think Vin65’s v2 search autocomplete for products works beautifully, a big part of why I want to see it in Base3!

@Lindsay I’ll second that we need the search components finished up and working in Base3. Google search is out as an option, we’ll need the product search component working.

I tried inserting the product search into a couple of developments a few months ago and sent feedback to the design/dev team. We found out that it wasn’t available yet for Base3 at the time so had to take it out. I hope that’s changed and it’s just throwing out an error for you or maybe it needs added configuration of some sort.

Also, the syntax of the search component in Base3 was a bit different, I thought.

Thanks @JamesDavenport … you sometimes have insider-y knowledge, is the Vin65 search component a tool built in ColdFusion (Verity)? I’m wondering if it would be possible to help the team from the outside.

Sometimes I wish we could run other languages on Vin65… I would pull together a PHP or Perl site search rather than harass the team in a heartbeat.

1 Like

You’re welcome. Just call me crazy for diving into Base3 Beta early and finding out which components worked or didn’t work . :wink: I just saw your question and figured I’d chime in with the answer I got from a similar question we sent to Vin65.

Yep, other languages would be helpful but it’s closed. I feel the same way when I want to run a script.

Also keep finding and reporting bugs, it does help the team move Base3 out of BETA quicker. :slight_smile:

1 Like