Proposition 65 Ecommerce Requirements here in California

With the recent addition/changes to Proposition 65 here in California all wineries and breweries are required to display a specific legal notice at the point of checkout on their Ecommerce sites. I spent some time talking to support and the only thing we could come up with to comply with this law is to borrow the weather alert section for the legal notice. This technically gets the job done, but is more of a bandaid than a solution that helps California wineries. It also leaves us with out a spot for weather alerts and highlights the advisory dead center of the page in bright yellow, which may give the customer the wrong idea.

Is there a better way to display this required message for us California wineries? If not, will Vin 65 implement something that lets us post this message with out taking away from current content/the customer experience?

For California Wineries that had not heard of this: http://www.brewbound.com/news/california-retailers-now-required-post-bpa-warning-signs

@AndrewSobon have you heard anything new from Vin65? The billing and shipping page works as well, and allows more flexibility.

I just bit the bullet and hard-coded it into the Review Your Order page and moved on. If customers are willing to ignore prominent shipping advisories and pleas to have an adult available to sign for packages, they’ll gladly ignore a legal notice about BPA.

Did not get anything else back from them on it other than asking me to submit a feature request. We are using the weather alert still, but it does become pretty big and a bit intimidating to a customer if you have to add an actual weather alert as well.

The article doesn’t specifically say anything about online checkouts needing the warning. Are we sure it needs to be there? I could see this as being a good carrot implementation if ‘state’ were added to carrot criteria. You can’t check out from CA without having triggered that carrot. And nobody else gets bothered.

I yearn for a full on disclaimers section that would be customizable by state, by page, by active promos, by customer, etc., and easily styled to be smaller font and at the bottom of content (above footer but bottom of site).

Examples:
Ground not available to HI or AK.
CA warning
Best applicable offer applies.
May not be combined with other offers.
Shipping included applies only to select wines.
etc.

Yeah, I think it does:

1 Like