Adding a Promotion to a Category

I want to add a promo to specific page in my store, there used to be a way to assign a promotion to a store category. How would one achieve this now?

I thought departments might work, but these products show up on multiple pages so that is a no go.

From what I’ve noticed, you can filter by product category still, and check boxes. (If you use Firefox, checkfox add on is handy if your list is 10+ as you can highlight and “Check all”).

If your list of wines to promo is going to change a lot, what I personally do is give it both a category and department, and set the promo on the department. You still have to use category to get it on the page(s) though. I miss that one too.

Actually the product category in the promo builder has nothing to do with Store Categories, it is a Promo Category, or folder. That is really unhelpful and confusing in my opinion.

1 Like

When you choose “Select products”, you can then filter by “product category”, which does pertain to the categories that are used for which pages a product shows up on. YOu just can’t choose to do a promo “on select product category”. In other words, you can still accomplish the same thing you used to, with a few more clicks, except that when you add or remove the products from the category you’d have to remember to add/remove them from the promo(s) too.

I am trying to add a promo to a specific store page on the website, regardless of what products are on it.
Those products can show up on different pages in the site, so that mechanism would then apply the discount to those wines even if they aren’t being added from that category.

When you “Select Products” and filter by “product category” this is only for searching for products to apply a code for which doesn’t help me limit the promo to a specific page.

I think I have that right.

You probably remember that Vin65 used to have the capability you are looking for. They took that away back when they added Departments.

(Frankly I felt that promo by category was broken. If I put a wine into Category “Red”, a customer visited the Red category page, and then navigated to the wine, they would see the promo. However, if they just went straight to the wine they did not see the promo - like from a search or simply returning to the wine page after the session expired 20 minutes later. This ended up being pretty frustrating for all parties. I would find a way to not need to do this.)

Not sure if this is applicable but one way to do this, if it’s just like a landing page from an email campaign (or through other links you can control the link on), then you could insert a &promocode=ABCDEFG to the link as a workaround.