Massive promo

Summary: Having promos on sub-departments could be really helpful. And being able to assign sub-departments via product import would help enable this.

We are putting all of our clothing items on sale. Unfortunately all of our clothing items are lumped in with the Merchandise department, so building a promo by dept for clothing doesn’t work.

Rather than attempt to create a new Clothing dept and move all clothing to it via Product Import, and suffer unforeseen side effects of that for the next several weeks, I spent part of my evening adding all of our clothing to the promo, one check box at a time.

I probably could have cherry picked what we actually have in stock right now but that would have taken even longer, so I went with brute force and added all of the hundreds of SKUs to the promo.

It didn’t blow up or crash, and the promo seems to be working just fine. Whew.

(I know, I said that out loud. But one does wonder what the upper limit is…)

I totally agree! More Promo categories, including Sub-Department!

1 Like

I bet you have them under a “product category”? (twisted fashion for example). I know you can FILTER by that to at least save some checkboxing. (you probably know that!). I really wish that product category were still an option for promotions because there are frequently landing pages (aka categories) that apply to a given promo in my world.

PS - “Checkfox” add on for Firefox is a giant time saver with checking lots of boxes if your filtering by category, etc. is giving you 50 boxes to check.

Actually in this case no category. Most of our TR only stuff has no category. For me Categories were a non starter since in order for the promo to work the customer had to arrive at the product through the category page. The promo didn’t work with direct links.

Fortunately we get all of our clothing from one supplier so I was able to isolate the list via an Inventory Sold report, and I was also fortunate in that our buyer insists on consistent product names, which made filtering much easier.

I wish I had thought to look for a box checker :wink: thanks for the tip!