Can Vin65 use a wireless receipt printer?

We are looking for freedom from the tyranny of CAT5 networking cables. I know that the only receipt printer that is compatible with Vin65 is from Star Micronics, and they offer BlueTooth models such as this one here..

Would the iPad Vin65 app recognize a Star printer connected via BlueTooth?

Star also offers a wireless adapter, would this product work with Vin65 via the iPad app?

I would wildly guess that the Bluetooth probably wouldn’t, but the wireless adapter might, since it assigns an IP address to the device, which is what the current system looks for.

And how dare you smite CAT5 cable or any of its twisted-pair brethren.

2 Likes

Indeed. We don’t need no stinking common mode currents.

1 Like

We use the Star Micronics TSP100, hooked up to an Apple Airport Express Router with an ethernet cable. Being on the same WiFi network as our two POS iPads, receipts print to it without issue. We encourage email receipts, but this has been working great when someone really wants a printed copy.

You’re using the Express as a bridge, more or less.

Thank you for all of the information. I will look into purchasing either the Star Micronics adapter or the Apple. I’ll report back when I have it working.

Hey, @NeilBradley. This is a guide a wrote that should help you to set up the TSP100 with the StarMicronics WiFi PowerPack (but like @TasteMorgan did, any wireless adapter set to “Bridge Mode” would theoretically work):

https://community.vin65.com/t/pos-hardware-setup-how-to-set-up-receipt-printer-etc/211

Let me know if you have any issues getting it to work. This is a bit of a pet project of mine.

2 Likes

For what it’s worth. The Vin65 app uses the StarMicronics API - it does a TCP/IP broadcast to find the printer. So if you have wireless client bridge (or something like that) and IF and ONLY IF broadcast packets are propogated, then yes - it should work.

If you have problems, please reach out to me directly - we can chat then - i LOVE helping my fellow Vin65’ers on network issues.

Chris

2 Likes