Do double names cause problems in the contacts data?

If a person enters their data as

First Name: Tom and Sue
Last Name: Smith and Jones

Does that cause problems?

I told my staff to not enter anyone that way thinking that it would currupt the name on the credit card on file, but now I am not sure.

We usually tell club members to put the club in one person’s name, but allow the other to make purchases.

I was going to tell my staff to correct one done like the one above, but now I am not sure if it is a problem. What do you think?

It doesn’t affect credit cards, that I am aware of. There is a name field for the cc.

We put in one name, and then put the other in a flag so it pops up when viewing the record.

We only enter double names like that- we have a lot of accounts being shared with non-same-last-name contacts. With both names in the first and last field, you’re able to search for either person without having to ask “Could it be under another name?”

We’ve had no CC issues- I don’t think the name field affects the card processing at all.

I think any potential confusion is worth the searchability. Though we did put in a request to tie two contacts together under one club membership. Maybe someday.

We have quite a bit of this too. Usually we set it up the second name in the Company field to make it searchable:

First Name: Tom
Last Name: Smith
Company: Sue Jones

Too new to Vin65 to know what it affects but I sure like being able to have both names, especially in the first name field. Then our emails go to “Hi Tom and Sue,” and that seems a lot more personal.

1 Like