How to Handle Samples?

Just curious how everyone else is handling their sample bottles (ie pours, donations, etc).

I tried doing at 100% discount on wine, but it won’t discount the bottle deposit.

track it outside Vin65.

1 Like

Thats what I think we are going to be doing.

Is anyone using Vin65 to do this? If you track it outside of Vin65 the inventory won’t reconcile.

We track all of our samples inside Vin65. We have a number of customer accounts set up with the last name Promo, an Order Type called Promo and a Sales Associate called Promo. We also have a promo code automatically apply 100% discounts to all of their transactions, so it’s fairly easy to execute. You can also put in different shipping addresses for things like replacements or marketing samples and it will ship the wine and track the sample in one fell swoop.

1 Like

How do you handle the deposit? With a 100% promo it still doesn’t remove the bottle deposit?

Is your winery in Canada or a specific state?

In Canada.

Can’t help you there, but I know a hoser who can. @Sean

2 Likes

@lindsey unfortunately we don’t have any great method for comping bottle deposits today.

One workaround that I have seen clients use in the past is to have a ‘comp SKU’ with a negative price override. However, this doesn’t get rid of the bottle deposit (it just counteracts it) so it may have reporting implications for you. I have also seen some wineries simply factor the bottle deposit into the cost of the SKU, but I’m not sure of the legalities of that route.

@Sean Is this something that is being worked on or is something we are always going to have to work around?

Has a solution been found for how to track samples in vin65 in Canada and have the bottle deposit sorted? Thanks!

We are tracking them manually right now. I saw a response somewhere (can’t find it now of course) where someone was using bundles (Pours Bundle, Promo Bundle, Event Bundle, etc). I think this would work, just haven’t had the time to trial it.

@lindsey Here are a couple thoughts for dealing with the bottle deposit on promos: When staff are entering the tasting room pours through the POS, we put the bottle deposit “on account”, then it is reconciled separately by our book keeper. When I am putting donation promos though the admin panel, I subtract the bottle deposit amount by putting a negative number into the “handling”.