How would you handle this pickup order?

Pretty simple situation: A new customer placed an order online, for pickup at the winery. In the order notes they indicate that it is to be picked up by a different customer, who is a member of our wine club. They did not use the intended gift recipient’s name in Billing or Shipping details, just the notes. There is also a gift mesage. Should I:

1. Leave it as is, and hope that the recipient knows to ask for this order

2. Transfer the order from the gift givers account to the intended recipient’s account for them to discover at their next visit

3. Same as #2, but email the gift recipient also to let them know

4. Something else I haven’t thought of.

Dan,
Contact the customer and ask how they would prefer you to handle the gift? Offer to contact the gift recipient (your Club member) on their behalf via phone to let them know that the person ordered wine for them as a gift and it’s ready to pick up. Or offer the other option: that the customer contacts the the gift recipient.

If you know for certain that your club member is the intended “gift recipient” then I would email them and let them know they have a gift waiting for them at the winery, but I would not transfer the order to their account. Have a place in the inventory room for “pick-up orders” and treat it like any other pickup order. Just my $0.02

What if you put a flag in the club member’s account to alert the tasting room team that there is an order waiting for pick up under another account?

Thanks. We have a pretty good relationship with the recipient, so since the order has a gift message and seems final - I’m going to email the recipient and leave the order in place. @tom2 the flag idea will help, even though it sort of bugs me that the flag will have to remain until I take it back down.

Flags are how we would handle this. We just make sure that as soon as the transaction is done we remove the flag, it can be done through the POS so the account is already open and it’s not a lot of trouble.