Image Upload Issues!

We are building an Email - we have changed the image to the prerequisite Vin65 size and shape. We upload the image and it is blurry. We have tried this with literally dozens of images. What are we missing @Karson or @cory?

Make sure the width and height in the tag matches that actual size of the file image. That’s one thing to check.

I’ll be curious to hear the response to this as we have had the same issue. I believe it has something to do with the height of the image. I assumed that if the image matched the width but was more narrow that it would be fine but my experience was that it seems to want to resize the image anyway. Let’s hear from the experts.

Checked tags - they are the same - and still blurry.

We find this to be the case on product items (like bottle shots) but the e-mail images are a different beast apparently?

Just out of curiosity, where are you building this email? Is it Action Emails, by any chance? Is the image blurry or is it jagged and aliased?

I’ve witnessed the Action Email builder commit horrible atrocities to image files. Things a human being should never see. We’re talking changes in file format, pixel dimensions and color space. I have proof too. @karson, hit me up if you want your life changed.

@jchristi, what is the file size and pixel dimensions of the original file you’re trying to use?

It looks like the image you have uploaded is 417 px wide, and is being stretched out to 660px which is the width set in the template for that image field. If you upload an image with the exact dimensions of 660 px X 225 px it shouldn’t appear blurry.

That is super odd because we are editing them down in photoshop and setting the canvas size to 660px wide. I have cropped to that width, I have scaled to that width and all of the images re-open in preview, photoshop, as 660 wide. So what am I doing where my upload is changing the dimensions of the image?

Not an action e-mail. The dimensions of the initial image dimensions are 3K X 16K or thereabouts - it really depends on the image we have tried (we have tried like 20 at this point). What we are seeing could well be the pixel dimension shift you describe. I have noticed that putting images into CYMK 16bit makes things wonkier then putting them in RGB 16 bit.

As a preemptive comment - I have tried both 16 and 8 bit CYMK and RGB and the 16bit RGB is the closest to normal. I have also striped the embedded color profile, chosen miscellaneous color profiles, and that appears to have little to no effect on the final upload.

As a general rule, CMYK for print and RGB for web/email/etc.

In my Photoshop workflow, I will work on the image at full/initial resolution, and then use “Save for Web and Devices
” to set the final image size and format. This seems to be foolproof for me.

Would you feel comfortable uploading the problem image here? Then we can all poke at it.

I know the CMYK for print rule - but I was frustrated enough to try anything. I was taught to stay away from the save for command in my graphic design education in school - can’t give you a good reason why, but that is what the Proff. said. I will give that a try, and if that does not resolve it I will upload it here for community fun.

I just tried @ElJefe tactic - image still appears fuzzy. Attached is image for group testing.

Even though the width is correct, it is still being stretched weirdly because the height is supposed to be limited to 225px. In the email template I set the max image dimensions to 660 x 660px so that anything under that will no longer be resized. If you reupload the images they shouldn’t be blurry any longer. I also created a document called ‘Image Test’ that you can take a look at.

1 Like

Ha! Here I though it was my latent photoshop skills fighting me - Thanks for the change @Sean you have solved my issue!

Thanks!

2 Likes