Is there a way to add a payment option to POS?

We don’t use gift cards but sometimes we have gift certificates (auction donations mainly). Can I add a payment option with a blank amount you can fill in?

Settings > Misc > Payment Types

We had “pay with hugs” as a joke for a hot second…it went poorly.

:wink:

1 Like

@sarahhorner In “Settings”, “Misc”, then “Payment Types”, then add a payment type.

I can’t imagine why! :slight_smile:

Thanks!!

There’s a slippery slope!

1 Like

This is all very interesting (hugs and all :slight_smile: ), but what would be the advantage of creating a payment type called “Gift Certificate” instead of creating a Promo?

Just trying to get use to the best use of the software.

How are you suggesting using a Promo?

We use a promo for gift certificates, and we call it $X Donation Coupon. We have a standard donation amount for the gift certificate, and the promo is set up as “discount off” for that amount. We set it up to apply to our whole store–but you can include or exclude anything you like. When a customer comes in with the gift certificate, we charge them and enter the gift certificate code as the payment. If they purchase above the amount of the certificate, they have to pay for the rest. They can use it in our tasting room or online. It’s easy. Let me know if you need more info.

So this works if 1) it is always a fixed amount and 2) they can’t leave an unused balance.

We use an additional 14 custom payment types in the POS. These are used for things like interdepartmental charges and our valutec gift card system.