Non-Taxable Sales (QNR Sales)

How are wineries best handling QNR sales in the tasting room? As a Washington winery, we have several visitors from Oregon and Canada who expect to not pay sales tax. What is the best way to process these orders free of tax on iPad POS?

Note: we have a ‘non-tax customer’ set up. However, this does not help capture information, track DL numbers, and really isn’t handy when we have someone sign up for the wine club and expect a tax free sale, with their discount that day (and tied to their account/sales history).

Solutions I can think of:

• be able to adjust tax rate on the POS
  • have a QNR button that removes tax (as we did with our old POS system)
  • be able to mark a customer as non-taxable from the POS contact manager (we do not always have the time to run to the admin panel in the office)

Any thoughts or just add it as a feature request?

You can navigate around some of this with creative items like for example we use SKU 9999 Account adjustment - and have it as a no-tax item, then enter a negative value. That way you can edit order amounts on the fly with out the brain surgery.

You also could create a customer called Mr. Tax Free or something to that effect and just take a note in the order note field to move it to the correct customer when the day/week is over with.

That having been said I agree that making a customer Tax Free or have a menu on the sales tax field could be super helpful.

thank you!
The negative value would work for the customer, but not the accountant who needs to report non-tax sales.
We do have a tax free customer…is it possible to move an invoice from one customer to another once it has been completed? I wasn’t able to figure out how to do that.
Appreciate the insights!

1. Pull up order in Admin.

2. Look in Billing Information for this icon:

3. Click and reassign order to desired customer.

4. Profit.

3 Likes

Beat me to it!

Thank you! I had seen that but it is so tiny that I was nervous to mess with it too much.
Appreciate the insights.

Has anyone seen any progress on this? It seems that “workarounds” are the standard answer when we really need an integrated solution.