Tax Being Refunded on Non-Taxable Items

When I go to refund tasting fees, or other non-taxable items why tax get computed and refunded too?

It’s a bug. Vin65 has decided it is low priority. If I recall correctly the information needed to calculate the refund correctly is not retained in the order record, and getting into the product record to find out was a technical problem for some reason. I suggested maybe a “Do not refund tax on this item” checkbox would get us there but they declined to do that.

In a partial refund situation it is probably not the end of the world if the customer gets a couple extra bucks refunded, but then you have the time it takes to explain it to those customers that are paying attention, which can be awkward…

Yea it’s a big pain, and it throws off our records. So I change the amt of the refund to try to get it close (also throws off our records) and then I can’t send an email to the customer to show their refund because it looks all weird.

Vin65 - please fix this bug this is an issue about 3 times a week for us!

Sorry you are encountering this difficulty! A decent workaround here is to Cancel Order instead of Refund Order. Cancel Order will refund the correct amount without the tax.

We recommend Cancelling the Orders on the same day as the original transaction to avoid potential accounting issue.

A full Refund is not the issue, the tax comes out just fine. Partial refunds are the issue. And those darn customers sometimes wait a day before needing a refund, gosh darn it.

@marijones we actually do a “tasting fee rebate” item set to the negative value of the tasting fee. Maybe something like that will help.

@ElJefe How does that work? It rings in a negative priced item and credits the card back?

It has to be used as part of an order. If for example you refund fees on a bottle purchase, use the negative rebate on the bottle purchase instead of refunding the previous order. This may not work for your situation but that’s how we do it.

Encountering this right now. The amount of working-around I’m about to embark on to make this invisible to my customer is giving me plenty of time to brood. This also affected many of my reports, which incorrectly ascribe a proprtion of the total tax paid on an order to non-taxable items in the report.

Is addressing this bug on the list at all?

The refund process is unwieldy and has too many steps, but as long as it continues to be unwieldy and have too many steps, they might as well add a check box that says “Don’t refund sales tax for this item”.

They don’t seem to find this a high priority. So we continue to enjoy the embarrassment of having to explain to customers why the refund amount is not what they expected.

I agree about the checkbox. I do appreciate that Vin65 has plenty of good reasons to not allow you to override every aspect of a transaction, but please let us override your known and easily identifiable bugs.

1 Like

Would like to state again how useful it would be to have a bug database to check against when these kind of issues crop up.

2 Likes

Hey everyone! This issue should be fixed on our next code push next Tuesday. Refunds will no longer calculate tax on Non-Taxable items.

Cheers!

2 Likes

When you say negative rebate, do you mean a promo code? I need to set up a buy 6 bottles then get your tasting fee waived, but I need to have the tasting listed on the order to count number of tasters for the day.

It’s a SKU. I have one SKU that is my tasting fee, say $10. I use this to charge for the tasting and count tasters.

I have another SKU that is my “tasting fee rebate”, it is set to -$10. The POS will accept SKUs with negative dollar amounts.

When I ring up an order, I put the tasting fees in the cart, along with the wines to be purchased, and the appropriate number of tasting fee rebates.

Thank you.