Perform Consumer Analysis using List Builder

Hello again WineDirect Community!

I was watching the 2019 SVB Wine Report on YouTube regarding the State of the Wine Industry in 2019. Very insightful presentation and I recommend you check it out if you haven’t. The panel stressed the importance of getting a deeper understanding of your customer base, so it can help guide how and where you should deploy your marketing budget. These customer insights can also help make data-driven business decision from which products/blends to produce to what stories to tell and how to deliver it.

I want to share a few examples on how you can “slice and dice” your Contacts database to obtain some of these insights.

Contacts

1. Split up your Contacts using Birthdate to determine your customer’s age and how your customer base is segmented as a percentage (ie. 22% Millenials, 45% Gen X, 12% Baby Boomers, etc)

Baby Boomers:

Gen X:

1. Add additional filters to look for more insights
  • Of all my Gen X customers, what percentage has a Lifetime Value of: >$2000, $200-$2000, $1-$200.
  • Of all my Millenial customers, what percentage are Club Members vs non Club Members.
  • Of all my Gen X customers, who has LTV >$2000, what percentage lives in a 30 mile radius from the winery, lives in the same State of the winery and lives in a different State?
  • You can also use well known Zip Codes nearby, like what percentage of these customers live in/near Silicon Valley or Beverly Hills.

Clubs

1. For insights on Club Members, you follow a similar pattern as above:
  • Of all my Club Members, what percentage is Pickup vs Shipping?
  • Of all my Pickup Club Members, what percentage has a Lifetime Value of: >$2000, $200-$2000, $1-$200?
  • Mix in Customer’s Age and Distance from winery as additional variables to obtain more granular insights.

What to do with this information?

Unfortunately, there is no silver bullet answer for this but the information you obtain should help you veer towards the initiatives that matter the most for your winery. Two wineries may be the same size, produce the same number of cases and generate the same revenue total but if one predominantly sells online to Millennials and the other generate a ton of revenue from tastings and day-trippers from San Francisco, the optimal mix of marketing initiatives will be different.

The first winery may choose to double down on online sales and buy some Google/Facebook/Instagram retargeting ads. They may choose to segment their List and send a different email to their Millenial customers with a more casual, light and humorous approach. The second winery may choose to focus on getting more Google reviews to get more day-trippers. They may choose to send the winemaker for a tasting party in San Francisco to convert the one time visitors to higher LTV, loyal customers. Maybe a billboard on the drive over. The possibilities abound - you know your brand and winery better than anyone. Combine that knowledge with the data driven insights you can derive from your database and it should be a helpful guide.

Hope this was helpful for you! Do you use List Builder for consumer analysis? If so, how are you using it and how effective has it been for you? Share your thoughts and ideas; we’d love to hear more about it!

2 Likes