Product Bundles and Wine Sales Tax

I recently created a product bundle for a mixed pack of wine, and discovered the hard way that wine tax is not applicable to product bundles. Apparently I can’t read documentation :joy: I do a lot of promotional sales and mixed packs of wine (2 bottles of cab, 2 bottles of zin).

Is there a way to have a “wine bundle”? Aka, a product bundle that properly charges tax on the wine? Is there something I’m missing here?

3 Likes

Co-sign. Vin65’s been aware of this for awhile too.

That is what we want to do. Create bundles.

What are you meaning by wine tax? Excise tax or Sales tax?

Also how does the UPS Easy Ship treat the bundle?

I should have been more clear. I’m referring to Sales Tax on wine.

Easy Ship doesn’t process bundled items at all, which is a problem in itself!

Assuming there’s no solution to this, I’ll probably end up making “Product Tax” and “Sales Tax” the same in the state settings. I RARELY ship merchandise out of state, but I ship wine out of state every day, so I don’t see this being much of an issue. Tax reporting could get messy though…

By tax, it is any tax you are allowed to collect from the customer, usually sales tax.

Some states have a different tax or tax rate on wine sales, Wyoming comes to mind. Bundles don’t work in Wyoming. I think NH is also a problem. I don’t use bundles any more.

Last I looked at Easy Ship it would ship a bundle, but you have to specify the bundle weight directly - it won’t add up the bottles’ weight - and it treats a bundle as a single item so you have to fix the package choice. Unless they changed something.

1 Like

thanks for this post. you helped me find an issue with a handful of our club kits.

I’m still new with Easy Ship, but I have a promo going now that’s a bundle, with weight set up, and it’s not generating labels for me. I’ll be the first to admit I could be doing something wrong, but it’s worked with other non-bundle orders before.

We have taxes being charged on bundles, but taxes come from Ship Compliant. I think they simply use the “products” tax table maybe in your situation? I remember a long while back having to populate that, though we’d not previously sold non-wine stuff that needed to have taxes in that part of the state setups.

So it turns out EasyShip will ship bundles.

Apparently, when you have “no shipping charge” selected in an item, Easy Ship will not create a label.

:confounded:

1 Like

I just watched the video on Product Sets. Do product sets properly charge wine sales tax? I don’t have it enabled on my site yet so I can’t test.

They will if your wine tax rates match your non wine tax rates. In the majority of states they do anyway, but a small number they don’t. If you don’t sell non wine on the web it’s easy. But if you do then you will make a compromise someplace.

Has anyone figured out a way to sell a wine bundle that taxes correctly? We’re in BC and don’t use EasyShip but product tax and wine tax are different so we can not use product bundles.

There isn’t a way, but would be a nice feature in Bundles to specify how each child SKU should be taxed.

I’m still waiting for my referral features, so maybe somebody else suggests it:

http://ideas.winedirect.com

Thanks EdFarmCollective. I’ve already suggested it and a few ideas have been merged to this one. Vote here if you are wanting this too https://ideas.winedirect.com/ideas/MISC-I-17

A Wine Bundle seems like an obvious need!! Even better if there was a Wine & Product bundle that could tax differently according to each child sku.

Crystal Coverdale

General Manager

Moon Curser Vineyards
Direct Cell: 250-689-2527

Winery: 250-495-5161
3628 Hwy 3 East | Osoyoos, BC | V0H 1V6

www.mooncurser.com | Twitter @mooncurser | Facebook Moon Curser Vineyards | Instagram @mooncurservineyards | Trip Advisor Moon Curser Vineyards

1 Like

I’ve been playing around with using one click offers for bundles. There are absolutely pros and cons to each. (listing a couple below). Anyway, doing it this way makes everything work like it would if the 2, 3, 6, 12 items were added individually. In our case it actually helps more than just taxes, it helps with promos that run on ‘brand’ and there’s a mixed brand bundle. We’re doing some A/B testing to see if they perform similarly or better (not worse).

Bundles
-They load into cart faster.
-Customer can’t edit the assortment if they didn’t like 1/12 of them for example, very easily.
-They are harder to set up when integrating with a non-Wine Direct POS, SKU A translates that into the x # of line items.
-Customer receipt shows the bundle as a single line item.
-It gets a little tricky to refund one bottle from the bundle, etc.
-Promos don’t really apply the way we promise they will. (25% on x, 20% on most y, 0% on z, etc.)
-If a single item is unavailable, the whole thing is.
-If we have to swap 1/12 of the SKUs, for example, we have to issue a new bundle SKU, etc. (~ 1 hour labor)

One Click Offers
-Load slower (bordering too slow at 12 units)
-Customer can edit the assortment very easily.
-Much easier to set up. (although there’s a little more coding knowledge required to get these on landing pages)
-Customer receipt shows all line items.
-It’s simple to refund one of the 12 bottles, etc.
-Promos apply perfectly.
-If a single item is unavailable, it adds the rest and messages shopper.
-If we have to swap a SKU, it’s super easy.

Hi Crystal,

Mario here from Ex Nihilo - ever solve this issue?

Hi Mario,

No, and we’re having to deal with this problem again right now with selling a wine bundle for Christmas! We figured out a bit of a work around with it but it’s definitely not ideal and is more time consuming. Tell all your WD winery friends to vote!

Here is the idea link for voting https://ideas.winedirect.com/ideas/MISC-I-17