Product promotion

I’m trying to setup a promotion where if you buy 12 bottles of ANY of our wines in our wine store (mix & match or full cases), you get a magnum for $25. Any idea how to do this? I seem to be only able to setup the SKU for the magnum as a sale price which would be for any quantity. Thanks!

Where do you intend to offer this promotion? In-person and online

Both! Online is where I’m trying to figure it out. For the POS I just created a separate SKU with a regular price of $25, and that can be rung up manually.

Yeah…there’s the rub. WineDirect has a Buy X Get Y Free promo, but what you need is **Buy X Get Option to Get Y for ___" promo.

There are, theoretically, ways to hack this functionality in. You could use the Buy X Get Y Free promo code and have the Magnum have its own shipping strategy that adds $25. I’m sure there are other ways. Unfortunately, though, doing this to work online is probably going to require some major compromises; either from an accounting standpoint or of the customer experience.

I’ve done this before. Wine Direct doesn’t have this functionality so we hacked it like this:

Create the item “magnum for $25” or whatever. No promos, just $25 price. Make the wording on the magnum clear by saying something like this: “YOU MUST BUY ONE CASE OF WINE TO GET THIS ITEM.”

Make it really clear in your email (or however you’re marketing this) that they need to follow your instructions to get the promo. Give them numbered steps on how to do everything. Make a tiny example video stepping them through the process. Reiterate on a landing page that they have to click through.

If you do all that, you’ll probably still get one or two orders where people don’t follow the instructions, but that just gives you an opportunity to chat with them on the phone and upsell!

2 Likes

I think you could do this with promos and carrots. Carrot checks for the criteria being met. Carrot has a link that inserts a promo code and product behind-the-scenes. (requires they click it though, you can design it to be noticeable).

The link would be something like: https://www.yourstore.com/index.cfm?method=cart.addtocart&productSKU=XXXXXX&promocode=YYYYY

XXXXXXX = Your magnum SKU
YYYYY = The promo code that reduces the magnum to $25

1 Like