Selling Futures (Wine in the barrel to be bottled 1 month from now)

I am curious if anyone has any experience selling wine that hasn’t been bottled. I was thinking of building an allocation for the wine, is this the best way to pre-sell the wine? I am trying to send out a futures email, but I want to be able to make sure this is possible first.

Thank you!

I have done it two ways: first way was to create a six pack bundle and sell it for your reduced price - or whatever size bundle makes sense. Then upon release just treat them as a regular pickup order. This is somewhat problematic because TR orders get auto picked up in the POS, or you have to ring them up separate etc. It ends up messy especially if you have more than one future on offer and they become available at different times.

More recently I have been using the gift card approach. I create a gift card product where the face value is the price they would pay upon product release. For example it lists for $50/bottle, they’re club and get 20% off, so $40. Again I sell in terms of six packs so the face value would be $240.

Then I create a promo on this product to reduce the purchase price, say your futures price is $30/bottle so on a six pack it’s a $60 off promo on the gift card purchase. So the customer pays $180 now for $240 of purchasing power on that product at release.

You can enforce SKUs on gift cards if you want, but then you have to edit each card and I haven’t found that necessary.

When the wine is released the customer comes in and just purchases the wine. At purchase time they also pay sales tax and/or can arrange shipping. If they need to ship it out of state, your compliance works out the way it should.