Promo limits on total items

I think I know the answer to this but thought I’d throw it out anyway. We would like to limit the number of times a promo can be used on a department of products in a given time period. For example, 8 uses over a variety of SKU’s (all in the same department) during a month. We can limit the number of times a coupon can be used, and we can limit the number of items that the coupon can apply to at a time, but that does not solve our problem. For example, one customer comes in and buys 8 items in one order - that customer should not be allowed to use the promo again. Conversely, another customer comes in and buys 1 item per order, but comes in 8 different times. The system lets us limit total coupon uses (8) and range of items per order (up to 8), but that does not limit to 8 “uses” of the coupon, it actually allows 64. I think I’m SOL, correct?

OK, I’ll say it. It seems to me the most desired behavior is to sell 8 of them in one visit, and not count on them coming back. So focus on that. Go single use.

If only the world worked that way!

You do get some say in how it works. Is 8 visits really a big concern?

Very definitely. We’re in the city, I have regulars who are in 2-3 times/week. It’s not at all uncommon for my members to have 6-12 transactions per month.

Then… I would set this up - based on the limitations you already guessed - in such a way that you avoid saying “no you can’t do that” to your best regulars. If your best regular wants to buy 8 things on 8 different visits, you’re probably not saying no. Right?

The discount makes the things free, so yes, it’s a problem. I give my best customers 8 free per month, I give another batch 4 free per month. Right now I have to manually track how many free items each customer has received, but there should be a way to let the system do that tracking for me.

How about a gift card/code? Set the amount to the $$ amount for 8 (or 4) items. Limit the code to only that item. (Click “Advanced”).

Interesting thought, but I don’t think the gift card mechanism is strong enough to handle it. I’d need a different code for each of my ~300 people, generated each month, which already sounds like a logistical nightmare. And from how it reads the gift code just gives the $$$ off as long as an order contains one of the SKU’s in question. In other words, I want them to have 8 of item A for free but they always have to pay for item B. So if one order has 2 of A and 2 of B, the full value of 8 item A’s would be discounted off effectively making B free (or at least heavily discounted) as well.

Right. the answer there is to do the item A sale by itself. That’s a small pain.

You can reload a gift card, but there is no way to batch reload or import reload. That would be a big pain.

Better would be to recreate the codes every month using Batch Create feature. Now you have to get the codes to your people. You could hand them a code on their first visit of the month and check them off a list.

I don’t know if this would work, because I don’t know if a code purchased via wine club processing would get delivered via email. You could try and see if this would work but I would bet something won’t allow it.

Of course, as long as you have to have a list, you could just check off how many on your list. Use a negative $ SKU to rebate the number of item As they get for free.

That’s all I got. Maybe some part of the above is easier than what you are doing now.