Sales Tax reporting for California

Anyone out there that can assist with getting reliable info from Vin65 for Cal Sales tax reporting?

Sure, I can tell you what we do. It’s clunky, but it works for us. I’d love to hear what others do!

Our problem (according to our accounting department, correct me if I’m wrong), was that we had to classify WHY we didn’t charge tax on items. Such as: $456 were tax free due to being event fees, or $689 were tax free due to take home food.

I decided to set things up with Departments, and break items up into non-taxable categories, such as “Event Fees” and “Food,” etc.

• I have all items set up with Departments. This is a key part of our method of reporting.
  • At the end of the month, we run a Sales Detail X report and export to Excel.
  • Create a pivot table with the following setup: Filter: Ship State Code Rows: Department Values: Sum of Ext Item Price, Sum of Ext Item Taxes, Sum of Ext Item Shipping, Sum of Ext Item Total
  • Select CA as the state in the filter.

This will show you total item value sales, taxes brought in and shipping charges by department.

Important note: the totals will not balance correctly in these reports, due to the way Vin65 rounds shipping and handling fees in Sales Detail X.

Hey rmcguire, would you let me know what winery you are so I can call your accounting department to ask them how they report tasting room sales? I would appreciate it.
Thanks

Hi
Are you a winery in California? I would like to speak to someone about collecting sales data to report for sales tax.
thanks
alexandra
510 465 5900

RE: Sales Tax reporting for California
What are best practices out there? Will VIN65 generate a report that shows Total Taxable Sales? … Or you have to back in to the figures? I see @rmcguire response … which is similar to what I am finding. I just find it hard to believe there is not better Sales Tax Reporting available. Any other best practices???