Transferring a member between club levels, can it be done without canceling them?

I don’t think I’m unusual in having a variety of club levels, some wineries have Gold/Silver/Bronze, or VIP/Premier/Preferred-call them what you like, but when a customer moves between the clubs, do you have to cancel the prior club membership and then add a new club membership to them, beginning the day that you canceled the last membership? When I run club member reports, I get all these canceled members, when in reality most of them have just changed their membership. Yes, I can sort out “inactive” members, but I was curious if there was another way this should be done.

All we’re doing is transferring members between clubs, can we just change the membership without canceling them?

Absolutely. Just edit the club and choose another club from the drop down.

I prefer to do this because then they get “credit” for their continuity of membership.

I will also make a note of the change/date in the Manage Notes section (not club notes) so I have some record.

2 Likes

You are certainly not unusual in having multiple club types. Our company experiences this as well. We choose to cancel the club type with the cancellation reason “upgrade/downgrade” as opposed to changing the club type in the drop down, so we are able to track the members progression.

Personally, I believe the solution is in the programming. It would be very beneficial if there was a “club change” type window to select as oppose to a cancellation. In theory this should make the old club type inactive on the back end, for the purpose of running reports, but not show a “cancellation” in the customer window.

Maybe a feature request is in order. Best of luck to you.

1 Like

Hi AngelaE-thanks for responding!
El Jefe answered that he doesn’t cancel the membership, he just edits the club membership in the member’s contact info (under “manage club memberships”) by clicking on it, opening it up, and then selecting the new club. This also retains the original membership date, handy for tracking longevity.

But the other reason I’m writing back is that we added “club upgrade” and “club downgrade” as cancellation reasons, so that when we (were) canceling club memberships and transferring them to new memberships we had those options to use, indicating they weren’t really “cancelled”.

Finally, a “how to” post on managing club changes would be nice to have on V65. I couldn’t find anything referring to this-just how to set up clubs, and cancel memberships, but no info on changing and manipulating clubs.

We do it the same was as @ElJefe mostly because we do not want the customer to be confused. If you cancel the Membership, every time they log in they will see the membership as a cancelled membership in their club profile area. Our Members seem to get confused from time to time during club processing and rejoin clubs. We prefer to delete those and for upgrades we just move them so they keep their anniversary date and put a note in the non club note area.

1 Like