Weird blog disappearance / Base 3

I have a live site whose blog was working as normal yesterday and sometime in the last 24 hours it started serving the error.htm page. The client has access and may have done something, but I can’t figure out what they might have done.

Here are the interesting elements:

• The blog page won’t let me adjust the URL redirect in either Manage Admin or Manage Properties.
  • Even if I make the page deletable it remains undeletedable (no delete button).
  • I can’t change the parent of this page or give it a child.
  • When I tried manually accessing the blog via the URL redirect (the “stock” one originally provided with the bare bones site) it gave me the same error.

At this point, I’ve replaced the page with a new, working blog page by using a blog category as a component … but any idea what happened?

Confirmed: the blog broke (resolved as error.htm) because the client deleted authors via the ‘Manage Authors’ tool who had blog posts attached. Moral of the story, don’t delete authors who are still attached to posts.

Maybe there should be a warning for users on the authors to make it more intuitive for the average user.

ETA: h/t to @Andrea for solving this! She’s great, vote Andrea.

1 Like

No problem Lindsay :slight_smile:

A great sample of how this is done elegantly is WordPress. It will flag you to re-assign blogs to another user before deleting the Author.

Since I don’t foresee ever using this, I won’t file a feature request but vin65 blog users hopefully read this forum routinely.

I have been advised in the past that, as a general rule, don’t delete ANYTHING that might have a history. I’d love to get rid of my ex-employees in the Admin list, for example, but there they sit…