What happens when inventory goes to zero has changed

I’m talking about POS here. With such a large number of items in our store, it is inevitable that the actual inventory will get out of sync with what is in the pool in vin65.

The normal behavior has been that, when an item in the pool has gone to zero, you could still sell the item. The count would go to -1, but you could make the sale and figure it out later.

Another typical scenario is when an item is restocked but for whatever reason the paperwork lags and the pools don’t get updated. Admittedly this is not perfect practice but it happens. The good news has been that the numbers catch up and are correct when you add in the restock counts. (E.g. count goes to -2, you add 12, and the count of 10 is correct.)

Lately, however, when the counts get to zero the POS is refusing to make the sale. This is NOT acceptable. The item is in hand and we must be able to make the sale.

What is going on??? @zach?

Our inventory pools are set to Back Order, and have been for several years. I have made no changes in this area.

From the docs: Back Order and Display Message: Orders can still be placed for the product and will take continue to sell inventory into a negative amount.

1 Like

Hey @ElJefe, let me take a look. My first reaction is to say that there have been no changes to Inventory Pools recently. I’ll run this through the proper channels and make sure that is in fact the case.

hi @zach - I’ve run into this randomly at other times recently, where I needed to get something done and just bumped the count to make it work.

Today in the TR a wine was at 0 inventory for that pool and my staff person got a message that it was out of stock and wouldn’t add to cart. This was either from tapping a button or scanning.

I went back to duplicate it and it added to cart just fine. And I’ve also tried it with others that are at 0 and those also work fine. This seems to be intermittent.

Are any of these products set to not use default inventory settings?

No. (That would be a nightmare!)

Which SKU was it and at what time (approximately)? I’ll take a look.

PS14 at about 4:48 PDT. The order as completed was 204207. Our TR person used an earlier SKU (PS13) to complete the sale.

We have never been able to make a sale when inventory reaches 0 - I get phone calls at all hours asking me to go into the back end and add count to inventory so sales can continue. This doesn’t sound like a change to me, it sounds like “how the system works.”