Quick clarification on return and refund at POS

Cranky bookkeepers keep me asking. Sorry! In Sales Detail reporting, our bookkeeper is annoyed by an extra line item of $0 when someone credits a customer at the POS. She says:The zero line doesn’t belong there. It adds another quantity of inventory. If the order is refunded in the same month, Vin65 shows the quantity going out of inventory on the original sale, coming back in on the return and another one coming out of inventory with no dollars. The dollars are correct but inventory is not.

Is this the difference of return and refund? Would choosing one or the other eliminate this $0 line item? Thanks!

Hey @sarahhorner, the $0 line item means that the item was given away (“sold”) at $0, which means that someone is likely using the default “Return” as opposed to “Refund”.

Most of your recent Returns look good but 13027 shows 3 Nebbiolo sold at $0 and 3 returned at -$x. That was a full Refund but not a Return.

I have personally submitted a feature request to have more control over the Return/Refund functionality. The default option on both AdminPanel and POS is to Refund (no inventory being returned) as opposed to Return (return money and receive inventory back).

Please submit a feature request asking for more settings and control over the refund/return functionality in POS and AdminPanel. You’ll get a response from a real live human and we’ll have one more tally mark to show us that this issue is important to our constituency.

1 Like

This is great feedback and I’m submitting my feature request now! Thank you.

1 Like