Will the email system be more robust?

Will we be able to add PDF’s with links when we send out emails to our guests?

Maybe you could upload a PDF to your website, then put the link to the PDF in the email?

2 Likes

Thank you for the idea.

Generally speaking, you don’t want to send attachments in mass emails, nor do many ESPs support it.

Hello Ed,

It isn’t an attachment it is a PDF that becomes the email and all the links
work.

It is how vertical response and other email marketing providers work.

It makes it easier and cleaner to layout your formatting for emails.

The problem is you don’t get the data integrated to the customer the way it
is

in Vin65/WineDirect.

If you say so.

Hi @EdFarmCollective I think what @wendy is referring to is the ability to import a PDF (or image file) to a mass email via an email marketing provider’s WYSIWYG tool and have it be integrated into an email via HTML, so that the file itself is hosted elsewhere (usually on the email marketing provider’s server).

Unless I’m misunderstanding.

Personally I don’t care for PDF includes in emails (needless and unresponsive) but the request to integrate widely accepted file types into email design isn’t without precedent.

1 Like

So, it hosts a PDF/bitmap version of the email or it essentially is a slicing tool? Either way, seems like a bad email experience from a marketing perspective.

Not that complex. Imagine just treating a PDF as a linked file with a preview. This can be useful for incorporating certain elements into emails, specifically menus and recipes that users might want to right-click and save.

The ideal is to directly format complex text + image content into an email and then provide a link for download hosted on the winery’s website, but considering Wine Direct’s many email formatting limitations I can understand why people might want to include PDFs or other image files as layout components.

The lack of control and previewing of HTML output in Wine Direct’s mass email engine is a major weakness when compared to providers like MailChimp and Stampready. Not because people can attach PDFs, etc., in those apps, but because the formatting freedom means they don’t ever want/need to.

@wendy Sorry for veering off into discussion-land! I am long-winded. :slight_smile: What will probably work best for you right now is a strategy of combining formatting images (think headers) with text content to make your marketing emails look more professional and be more user-friendly.

If you are talking about just linking to a hosted PDF, that’s 100% doable in Vin65 and really easy. Just go upload it via content editor, grab the URL and then you can link to it via a text link or a thumbnail.

Granted, it’s not drag-and-drop.

Agreed that for you and me, it’s easy. :wink: But for a lot of users the experience of building effective marketing emails in this platform is unseemly levels of difficult. Part of that’s because good HTML emails are somewhat difficult, and part of it’s because the UX of email building has obviously not been a Wine Direct priority. (Which, for the record, is fine. Their focus has been elsewhere for many good reasons.)

Heck, I’m a developer who has created custom email templates for Vin65 clients (back when they were, I haven’t made any since the changeover) and I find their system unintuitive.

1 Like

thank you so much.

I will try it.

Have a good day.

Wendy

Thank you so much for translating for me.
Wendy

Long winded is fine. The PDF example was the only one I could articulate.

Thanks,

Wendy