AMA: Andrea Dyck

I’ll be answering all of your design related questions later today at 3:00pm PST. Leave any that you have below. :slight_smile:

4 Likes

1 Like
  1. What are some of the worst design trends that people are implementing right now? (e.g. stuff like auto-playing videos)

2. Why do you hate box shadows?

3. Most underrated font?

4. What is the cheapest/easiest modification people can make to improve their old/outdated sites?

5. Favorite type of pizza?

What is the worst font of all time?

1 Like

What’s a piece of design work that you’re most proud of?

What is your recommended workflow for vin65 dev/design re: CSS preprocessors?

Comic Sans and Papyrus tie for first place :slight_smile:

3 Likes
  1. Why did you get into web development?

2. What’s your setup (hardware, most used software)?

3. Most used style tag?

4. What’s the most underutilized feature in Vin65’s dev offerings and how would you suggest we use it?

5. Favorite Disneyland ride?

6. Lucas is often accused of being “too real” for some people, can you speak to that, at length?

7. You’re from Vancouver, what’s the best Nickelback concert you’ve attended?

8. Best beard at Vin65?

9. In the 1995 Richard Donner classic, Assassins, what did you find most vulnerable about Antonio Banderas’ portrayal of Miguel Bain?

1. Autoplaying videos with sound ;), overdone box shadows, really large typography
  2. They have their place if used real subtly. Like real subtly.
  3. I really like ‘Karla’
  4. One way is to redesign their site using a free template. If you are wanting to brand it and make it your own, you can get a designer to make some tweaks.
  5. A mother does not have a favorite child. I do not have a favorite type of pizza.
3 Likes

I’m really fond of Vin65’s latest template Clover and another project that I did a little while back here.

1 Like

This is so much better than the @lucas_klaassen AMA.

2 Likes

For the Vin65 templates, we use sass/scss. It’s pretty similar to plain css, but has a lot of added functionality that’s really useful and makes for quicker development. :slight_smile:

1 Like
  1. How many templates have you set up for clients?
  2. What one design trend are you itching you try out?
  3. What design trend do you wish never happened?
  4. What are the top 4 songs on your work playlist right now?
  1. I’ve always loved computers. When I was younger, I spent so much time in my room on freewebs and piczo, that my room became known as my tower.

2. Most used software are Illustrator, Sublime, and Transmit.

3. Oooooh toughy. Imma go with text-align: center. Gotta love those centered headlines.

4. For designers, a tool that isn’t used a lot is the option to have Content Blocks Related to Products. This allows you to customize each product drilldown page.

5. Splash Mountain. No competition.

6. I’d rather not. :wink:

7. Ouch. None. If I look real hard, I may have a song on my phone…

8. Karson’s hands down. Sorry to the many other men. #bestmanbunalsocomingsoontoatheatrenearyou

9. No comment.

1 Like
  1. Which online type libraries do you reach for when creating designs? Typecast, fonts.com, Google fonts, or something else?
  2. You’ve created a great new Vin65 template, but you need colour options. Which Vin65’er would you have help you create some more colour variations?
  3. What’s a Vin65 designer launch feature that doesn’t exist today but you’d implement if you were programmer for a day?
  4. Tea or coffee.
  5. Puppies or kittens.
1 Like

Hope this isn’t too late. :slight_smile:

1. What big trends in wine website dev do you see coming down the pipeline?
  2. What, besides the obvious—image carousels!—are common wastes of design time according to the data Vin65 sees?
  3. What do you think about increasing website design uniformity with the popularity of bootstrap, skel, et al? (Full disclosure, I totally use these things too.)
  4. What is one thing you’ve often seen trip up new designers/developers working with Vin65?
  5. Sprinkles or chocolate chips?
2 Likes
  1. I’m gonna say approximately 2839. I know what you might be thinking - “That’s more sites than we have on Vin65”, but I counted twice so…

2. I’d like to play around more with the use of subtle css animations.

3. Any sort of flashing colors and scrolling banners :wink:

4. Not sure if I have a top 4, but I’m liking these ones:
    I’m in love - Kygo
    Kings of Summer - ayokay
    Money & Fame - Needtobreathe
    Work - R3hab Remix

1 Like

Work - R3hab remix ftw.

2 Likes
  1. Google Fonts is great since they have a large selection and be added onto multiple sites the easiest. When I’m looking for something a little less well-known or unique Adobe Typekit and fonts.com has some great fonts as well.

2. It’s a toss up between Corinna or Karson

3. The ability to repeat Content Blocks / Add multiple Content Blocks within one Content Block :slight_smile:

4. Tea fo sho

5. Puppies. No question.

1 Like

Yes to content block inception! I’ll second that!

2 Likes