Credit Card Updater Issue

I have reported this to support but am wondering if others are encountering this.

We had a customer that updated their credit card on August 3rd. When they updated their card, they deleted their old card so it is no longer in Vin65. Then they received a notice on August 18th that the old card had been updated. Obviously, they are concerned that we are storing a card that they deleted and wondering if our system has been hacked.

Are others experiencing this problem with the updater service.

Haven’t seen the credit card issue first hand but I have had several WCMs update their shipping information and checked the “update clubs with new address” but in our club run, 3 weeks later, the order still shipped to old address. So yes: having trouble with the updater service. At first I thought it was WCMs not filling the information in correctly but now I have seen the correct information entered and the wrong (old) information going through to SC and P&S. Waiting with baited breath to see what happens tomorrow when we ship the entire club.

Wow haven’t heard about this. Can you share anything else. This is scary stuff.

Partial Update: For any others experiencing problems with the Updater, the Support Team has reported that the updater routine is quite far behind and they suspect this may be causing the problem that I saw. I don’t exactly know how the updater notification process works, but I am concerned that the triggering of the update email is not tied to an actual update to an online credit card. In our case, the customer had deleted the card weeks earlier so even if the updater routine was using an older data set, it would not have been able to actually update a card on file in Vin65. So, I am concerned that the email is being triggered off of something other than the actual updating of a card on file.

I have asked in the past that we be able to turn off this automated email. Some of our customers are confused and concerned by receiving this note and I prefer to control what and when I email customers.

If anyone has any other insights on this, please post.

1 Like

I thought I would keep everyone else in the loop. I just received another notification from one of our customers that a credit card that they had deleted was updated by the updater process. Below is my note back to support:

It looks like we still are having the issue. I just received notice this morning from another customer that had updated their card but still received a notice that their old card had been updated. I am beginning to wonder if the updater process is broken or not working correctly beyond the backlog. I don’t think it should be possible for a customer to receive an email that a card that doesn’t exist in the system has been updated. I wonder if you are triggering the email off of something that the banks provide rather than a successful update in the system. Can someone get back to me on this.

1 Like

Wondering if the updater, on daily or weekly intervals, batch uploads cards that match certain criteria to the merchant processor, who then updates them from the bank and then sends them back down on another interval.

So timelines just for sake of explanation. On Monday the cards get securely uploaded to the merchant processor. On Tuesday, the customer deletes their card. On Wednesday the merchant processor receives the updated number from the bank. On Thursday the number is sent back down to Vin65, which accepts it, even though the customer deleted it.

Might be way off base, but that’s a theory. @Karson what’s going on, bruh?

The timing issue is something that should be fixed and would eliminate some or most of this but there seems to be a fundamental design flaw that would allow an email to be triggered off of an event that actually didn’t happen. Essentially, notifying a customer that we have updated a particular card in the system when we haven’t is not a great business practice.

1 Like

@kris The credit card account updater service doesn’t have any interaction with the shipping addresses. Are you seeing some correlation with a card update and the shipping address change?

If you provide a specific customer and club to support@vin65.com where the address changed and we can investigate this further.

@MarkCrapeau Can you provide the customer details and the last 4 digits of the card they are referencing (if you have that) to support@vin65.com.

@EdFarmCollective
We have a check in place to only update a club membership (and send the email) if the same unique identifier we sent for update matches what is currently on the club. We also prevent deleting a credit card if it’s assigned to a club membership. I can dig into the details of the customer and see what happened here.

Jason, you should have the customer number / name of the person that created the original support issue. I will contact support with the one I received today. Their situation is the one that is described here. They updated their credit card and deleted their old card on August 3rd. They received a notice that their card had been updated on August 18th. The card that they were noticed on was the one that was deleted on the 3rd. The card referenced in the updater is not in the system any longer because they deleted it on the 3rd when they did their update.

@MarkCrapeau

Below is the email that went out to this contact. I removed the last 4 digits of the card for security. The message in this email stating that the card could not be updated will go out when we receive a response from the processor that it can’t be updated, or if the card is cancelled, or if we attempt to update the card and it no longer matches.

We could review the action to take when it no longer matches, but I think it’s mainly an issue here because we’re outside of the normal 5 day window for updates to complete so the chance of cards being manually changed is higher.

Let me know if you want to discuss this further and we can jump on a call.

Thanks

We noticed that your credit card was a little out of date. To ensure that you’ll receive your selection of wine, the card on file for your club membership has just been updated from your credit card provider.

We weren’t able to update your MasterCard card number ************xxxx for some reason, please contact us to update your payment information.

Note that your card provider is only providing updates for this account - a new expiration or a new number which you have already securely received and activated (there is no action needed). If this update doesn’t look correct to you, please contact us right away.

Thanks very much for being a member!

My issue is NOT the credit card updater; we don’t have that service yet.
My problem has been with a few clients (4-5) that have updated their
shipping addresses online and it di not come through their club run
properly and sent to the wrong address. I attributed it to them not
checking the correct boxes until I ran into someone I knew that was at the
winery and their cc was updated properly but still had an old address
attached to the shipping for their club. We can’t see to recreate it for
this client but it definitely was an issue that I am sure you will see more
of.
Kris

Kris Curran
D’Alfonso-Curran Wines
4457 Santa Rosa Road Ste. #5
Lompoc, CA 93436
(805) 736-9463 Winery
(805) 736-9411 FAX
(805) 588-0152 Cell
www.dcwines.com

Co-sign. The UI for updating Wine Club addresses and credit cards is unclear and tedious for normal users.

Hi - Did you ever figure out how to turn off the automated credit card updated email? I get complaints from customers who are confused by this or upset that we know their CC info without them telling us so I too would like to turn this Email off.

No way to turn it off.

Recommended approach is to write the email in your own voice. Be self deprecating and attempt humor. Explain it’s their bank doing this, not you.

After doing that I stopped getting complaints.

We followed your advice, changed the re line of the emails to not mention credit cards, and it greatly reduced the number of complaints to almost zero. Thanks.

FYI you can now turn off credit card updater emails if you desire:

https://documentation.vin65.com/Settings/Integrations/Payment-Gateway/Credit-Card-Updater#Notification-Emails