Credit Card Updater

We’ve had many inquiries in regard to the the system email “Your Credit Card has been Updated” that is automatically sent out to club members who have their credit card on file. Although this is a great feature, it seems that our members are confused when they receive this email. They are not sure why or how their card was updated, what a “little out of date” means, etc.

What is your elevator pitch on this subject and some best practices on how to quell members concerns?

1 Like

I make it abundantly clear to the customer that Visa and Mastercard are providing this service for their convenience. We are simply subscribing to the updates and letting them know it happened as a courtesy.

I also make it clear that we only receive updates for the existing account they provided at signup.

I also make it clear that the following message from the updater is computer generated, and apologize for its cryptic nature.

I also invite them to contact us if any of this was not intended.

After the first wave - when I only got a couple responses - I have not heard another thing from my customers.

1 Like

Though we look at account updaters as a convenience to our own businesses, it’s really a convenience to the cardholder and we should frame the value that way.

You, Mr./Mrs. Cardholder, have such an awesome credit card that all the on-account services you use and love can securely update your card information any time your issuing bank changes it. You don’t have to lift a finger. The future is now!

You should definitely be transparent and clear about the nature in which their information is updated, maybe even provide an info-graphic, but at the end of the day it’s something in their cardholder agreement, so if it’s something they’re uncomfortable with, they need to discuss it with them. We’ve found that people aren’t so much alarmed as they are surprised that such a thing exists.

Just want to add that if your Club Member is really uncomfortable with Credit Card Updater, they are able to opt their credit card from getting updated by reaching out to their credit card provider.

1 Like