Don't update the iOS on your iPads :)

I learned the hard way not to keep up on the iPad updates. We had major POS issues and it turns out it was because we were keeping up on our iOS updates, which are released quicker than the Vin65 POS app updates. @carisenr was super helpful in getting us back on track if anyone else has issues since updating to iOS 10. Maybe we’re the only crazy ones who updated right away, but wanted to share in case anyone else has had trouble in the last week.

1 Like

Yeah, I started a thread several days ago asking Vin65 to let us know when to update, and they advised not. Sorry you missed it.

Yes I was wondering the same. When to update or not? Ours all did yesterday.

May I ask what kind of quirks you are finding? We are coming into a very busy weekend and I dread that we will have issues because of it.

1 Like

Gosh, I didn’t see it! Well I learned my lesson :slight_smile:

1 Like

@097 we had a lack of responsiveness from buttons, the iPads would freeze then error-out on every stage of the check out process. Once we go to “Manage contact” for a customer to mark orders as picked up it would scroll but if we tapped an option it wouldn’t open the new screen. It basically lost all functionality several times per day. We would switch iPads to try to get the customer rung up and the next iPad would have the same issues. We were sent to the error screen that requires “reload or re-login” frequently, too. I’d recommend reverting back to the previous iOS.

Should this come out as a notice on the admin panel or something?

I asked @carisenr about that and he said that this issue was noticed just recently and the team is working quickly to push an app update to fix the problems. He said usually with iOS updates they have to make tweaks so it is always best to wait to update until a few weeks after the update is released. I agree that there should be a notice to everyone in the admin panel just in case they don’t get an update out soon enough. It ruined a few days for us and even though it was midweek, those customers are just as important. I don’t want anyone else to have to go through that headache. Reverting to the previous iOS is easy enough but a pain in the butt when you have several iPads. Total time suck.

For anyone interested, there are some instruction on downgrading your iOS version here (I haven’t tested this myself yet): http://osxdaily.com/2016/09/14/howto-downgrade-ios-10-to-9/

This isn’t officially supported by Apple, so it is ‘use at your own risk’.

@JJukich - Do you mind sharing the method you used to downgrade?

2 Likes

Hi @Sean! I used that same website. @carisenr sent the link to me.

1 Like