Event Ticket Promo Question

Limit discount to two tickets. WE want to still allow additional tickets to be purchased at non-discounted price while still have the two tickets at discounted price in cart.

Use two SKUs, one at the discounted price, the others full price. Make it clear only two at the discounted price. Trust your customers to do the right thing. It does happen.

2 Likes

There is a “from” and “to” quantity field within promos. Depends whether you’re doing a percentage off or flat rate whether that’ll work. Sometimes you might have to do something like “From 1 to 1, do X”, from 2 to 2, do Y". From 3 to 200, do Y.

"$5 off a ticket. $10 off a couple tickets!"
From 1 to 1 is $5 off.
From 2 to 200 is $10 off.

Or let’s say it’s "10% off your first two tickets!"
1 to 2 is 10% off each item.
3 to 200 is (10% x cost of two tickets)

or if that doesn’t work
1 to 1 is 10% off (not each item)
2 to 2 is 10% off (not each item)
3 to 200 is (10% x cost of two) amount off entire order.

Just a thought.

I don’t think that works. If you do:

1 to 5 is $5 off per ticket
6 to 100 is $10 off

When you buy 6 tickets you would get $60 off, not $35. It picks the greater discount.

I’m not sure what would happen with:

1 to 2 is $5 off
3 to 100 is $0 off

I don’t think it works or I would be doing it this way. :wink: It’s been enough years since I played with this I’ve forgotten…

I wish promos had multiple qty discounts in them

Instead of 1-X it could be 1-5, 6-11, 12-35, 36+…

#newfeaturerequest

S**teve Havill
Wine Club, BellaGrace Vineyards
m: 209-681-5777 | e: steve@bellagracevineyards.com
http://www.instagram.com/bgvineyards
http://www.facebook.com/bellagracevineyards
http://www.pinterist.com/bellagracewine
https://www.yelp.com/writeareview/biz/cic5bI--ZeQLpXJeAsu8FQ?return_url=%2Fbiz%2Fcic5bI--ZeQLpXJeAsu8FQ

You can make it work.Test for sure though!

Scenario 1, without a coupon code
Save $10 each on the 1st two tickets!
From 1 to 2 = $10 off each item
From 3 to 200 = $20 off entire order
(the problem is, if you buy 3, it DISPLAYS them as $6.66 savings ($20 / 3) per item. that may or may not be an issue for you, but it ends up collecting the amount you want)

I get around that at least to prevent calls/emails/abandons, by a combination of naming the promos, how you word the discount (in an email for example), and carrots if needed.
i.e. Promo 1 is called “Save $10 apiece for up to 2 tickets” - From 1 to 2, $10 “dollars off” each item, for 1 to 2 of that select item.
Promo 2 is called “Save $20 when you buy 3 or more tickets!” - From 3 to 200, $20 “dollars off” the entire order.
Don’t need to couple them, unless they need to be coupled with other things. It’s fine to couple or not couple since they trigger at different quantities.

Scenario 2 - with a coupon code
"SAVEONTIX - Save $10 each on up to two tickets". The promo does From 1 to 2, $10 off each item, for that select product.
Then make a second promo. Same thing with coupling, doesn’t really matter unless you’re coupling with OTHER stuff like everyday promo sets.
“SAVEONTIX - Save $20 when you buy more than 2 tickets!”. The promo does From 3 to 200, $20 off ENTIRE ORDER, for that select product.
Since a single coupon code cannot exist twice, the second one doesn’t actually require one, but they won’t know that necessarily.

The caveat there is that you don’t mind if someone actually didn’t know the coupon code, bought 3, they’d still save $20… Usually not an issue when I’m doing this.

1 Like

Ok I know this is old, but I am having this issue now. I am having a member party - I want each membership to get two tickets for free, and then if they want additional tickets they would be $10.

I thought creating a promo like this would work:

1. Discount Off
  2. Available to specific contact types (Members)
  3. Promotion on Selected Products (just the Party ticket SKU).
  4. Percent Off: 100%
  5. Quantity from 0-2

And then for added measure I coupled the promos with our Wine Club Discount and Wine Club Shipping Discount that apply to all member orders.

But sadly, when I go to test with my member account, it is just trying to charge me $10? Any ideas where I could be going wrong? I was so confident this would work!

I have two thoughts here:

• Product Promo Type Dollars Off
  • Promo $ 20.00 Off
  • Dollars Off Entire Order

This will achieve what I think you’re looking for. When the order goes to 3 tickets it will spread the cost across all the tickets, making it look like you are selling three tickets for $3.33 each. At least the math works out.

OR, you could just make two different SKUs, one for members and one for guests. It will make it easy to see how many of each you sold. You could also use product security to limit members to only be able to purchase two of the member SKU if you want to be a little more strict. In my experience people have been totally honest about which tickets they are buying.

2 Likes

Two SKUs and trusting your members to do right works very well and is straightforward for all concerned. Any “violations” that do happen reveal as honest mistakes and are easily rectified.

And if a member buys 6 free tickets instead of 2 and 4 at $10 and gets huffy about it, it’s likely someone you’ve had trouble with before or will again soon enough. Fire them now while you have the chance :wink:

2 Likes

I do the same thing, two skus, and I make it clear how many club members get of the complimentary tickets. To me it always seems less confusing that way.