Fail to open Excel download form

When I download a report from one of the Vin65 froms, I am unable to open the excel file that is generated on any computer except our old dinosaur that is running Excel 2003. It will not open with Excel 2007 or 2016, or Mac Numbers. We can however open any excel file that is generated from Vin65 ticket reporting. through all of those platforms.
I have gone into Excel and I went into options - trust center - and “File Block Settings” and checked all boxes to open, and “open selected file types in protected view and allow editing.” I’m still unable to view any form responses that I download from Vin65. Ideas on how we can view our “forms” reports?
Thanks!

Which report exactly?

It happens to me too. I have to find the download folder and double click to open it that way, for whatever reason. Mine opens Excel, but it doesn’t ever open the file, nor message that it failed to open the file.

Sales SUmmary is one of them.

Mine pops this up.

I click “Yes,” and it opens.

Running Excel 15.24 on Mac, which, I believe is the latest non-beta version.

The blank page that occurs when you try to open your reports is not actually blank. Due to recent updates, certain versions of Excel have heightened your default security settings for documents originating from the internet.

To change this setting so that you will be able to download your reports, open Excel and go to Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > Protected View > and uncheck the top and bottom boxes as pictured below

Then go to Options > Trust Center > Trust Center Settings > File Block Settings > change the setting as pictured below

After making these changes you should be able to open your reports.

I tested this fix on a Windows 10 PC using Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2016

4 Likes

[quote=“bobby, post:6, topic:680”]Due to recent updates, certain versions of Excel have heightened your default security settings for documents originating from the internet.
[/quote]

It’s actually what happens when the file extension doesn’t match the file type. For instance, if Vin65 is exporting a .xlsx or a .csv file type but affixing a .xls extension, it will prompt that error.

This behavior is not occurring on some of the newer reports because the file types are .csv and the extensions are .csv. They match. Vin65 could and probably should fix this. Just have everything dump out as a .csv.

1 Like

Please only make that an option. I need some reports to be .xls so that they can be viewed with Excel Viewer…

Or dump them all out as .xls. Just make sure the file type matches the extension and people won’t have to disable security features in Excel.

Bobby you are GENIUS! Thank you! Mariam

1 Like

This fix does work on Chrome, but not Internet Explorer. I am trying to open the Inventory Transaction reports.

What version of Internet Explorer are you using?

Internet Explorer 11