Form marking Contact Type, Contact Type Running Promo

Hi,
Is there any way to do this:
Fill out this form and this great thing happens!
Filling out the form marks them as a contact type.
Great thing requires they be marked with a contact type.

Person filling out the form already exists… How can it mark them as a contact type?
(other than exporting customers, finding out the emails that ARE alreayd in there, and marking them with the contact type manually or via import).

There’s no way to have it just update their info and mark them even though they existed already, right?

1 Like

This above, and silly me, I thought that when someone cancelled their club membership, the club contact would be removed from their contact type. It has to be removed manually. That is really confusing to guests if they get a club email after they have cancelled. I just learned after a year that it’s a manual adjustment.

My need is unrelated to clubs. I want to send a coupon code that does one thing at x quantity, and another thing at y quantity. Since two promos can’t have the same coupon code (they both error), and a single promo can’t use 'OR" in its criteria, the only way to do this is to mark this select group with contact types and use those to run the promos.

But, I can’t send them to a form and have it auto-mark them if they already exist in contacts…I wish I could.

Your best bet is to find a way to not have a club contact type.

In the past at least Vin65 has recommended using contact types only when no other way will work, because of the manual maintenance.

Thanks Jeff, that is something I had not heard. So are you saying that list builder is the best way to send emails to club members as that will be up to date as you add and delete memberships, without having to physically amend contact types? I really wish there was a Vin65 for newbies written by oldies so that the info is in one place without searching for these things that you don’t even know exist. Thanks for the help. Are you on Vin65’s payroll yet? :slight_smile:

This may sound like a dumb question also, but the list builder has to be run before each mass email is sent out, right?

Exactly. If you use the customer’s data and list builder to segment then you mostly don’t need contact types.

Exception: when you have a group to email that have commonality outside the data available - like “customers I went to high school with”. :wink:

You can, and sometimes you should just to make sure you don’t have to clean it or to make sure it is still working as intended. But you don’t have to.

When you go to do Send Mass Email it will build the list then.

Thanks!