So my client’s forms disappeared on Friday. They were showing up fine until then. I’ve been back and forth with WD dev support and they are still not showing…the link is hudsonranch.com. I appreciate any advice you can give me
Apologies for the issues you’re having with our Form tools! We’ve identified a bug within Settings > Website Settings under the ShipTo Countries section where if the checkbox titled EU is selected, forms with the State Code field will not display properly. Once the EU checkbox is deselected, the forms should display for you. We will be looking into this issue further to resolve the root of the problem.
We’ve spoken directly with your project manager who should be updating you soon in more detail on the issue. For now, we’ve disabled this EU checkbox as your project manager has confirmed hat you’re not currently shipping to the EU.Your forms should be displaying correctly now.
If you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to let us know!