How does everyone count tasting?

I would like to be able to track customer tasting counts per transaction in the pos. The only thing I can think to do is add a product item at $0. How is everyone else tracking tasting customers per day?

thanks!

We charge for our tastings so we count the tasting skus. Club tastings are full price but discounted to 0 with a club promo so they still appear in the transaction.

1 Like

got it! Thanks! We charge a tasting fee but waive it with bottle purchases. I’m not sure how I would do a promo for that, but we could just select the tasting sku and change it to a $0 item.
thanks JKing!

We waive the tasting fee if you spend a certain amount, so we just have a SKU for the paid tasting and a different SKU for a free tasting. Mainly for the convenience of not changing any pricing, and because there was no reasonable way to make the promo work with some paid / some comped tastings simultaneously.

1 Like

You can probably use the buy x get y free promo feature. The x would be any of your wines and the y would the tasting fee.

We are currently using that promo for our Rose where people buy 12 bottles and get 1 bottle of Rose free. When we enter 12 bottles of Rose a 13th bottle of Rose is automatically added at $0.

We do what @JKing does with the product and promo. We also set up a tasting rebate which is the negative amount of the tasting fee (you can do negatives in POS). This helps when you end up in separate transactions for tasting and purchases - people change their minds - and also allows you to track how often you give it back.

1 Like

We have several different SKUs for tasting fees in addition to the paid fee. We have comp tasting (if customer buys enough wine to have fee waived), club tasting, and industry tasting. These are all $0. We also have a $0 Visitor SKU so we can count total guests who come in. This helps us with conversion metrics.

so how is everyone tracking inventory with tastings? say you have a different set of wines you taste per day or per week? or because customer is trying different wines to taste? are you using different skus with a different set of varietals? That would be a ton of skus.

That’s exactly how I do it as well.

I have a special user setup who gets a special price level of $0 on everything. at the end of the day the room completes a transaction to this user for all the bottles it used that day. this books the inventory, doesn’t show any discounts or sales numbers, and is reportable.

We do this, but then we also do it under a special “Order Type” called records, so that it doesn’t mess up retail and actual sale price totals at any of our locations. Anytime I see a 25% discount on a months retail sale, I know that someone has forgot to put them in the right “Order Type”.