Promo Coupling

To say it nicely, promo coupling is the bane of my existence.

We have several promos that are set up to work for our club members only. For example:

• 10% off 1-5 bottles is available to all 3 club types

• 15% off 6-11 bottles is available to all 3 club types.

• 20% off 12+ bottles is available to Wine Club & Case club

• 25% off 12+ bottles is available to Gold Club

On top of that, we have monthly promo codes for free accessories set up for our Gold Club Members. We also have discounts available for all club members on event tickets.

Right now we have an event ticket promo that is working for our Case Club & Wine Club Members, but not for our Gold Club Members even though itā€™s all on the same promo. The customers only have 1 SKU in their cart: the event ticket. Since there is only 1 SKU in the cart (and we donā€™t have shipping promos) the order should only be eligible for 1 promo; not to mention the fact that the promo is NOT applying (as opposed to applying too many promos) However, Iā€™m being told this is coupling issue.

Has anyone else experienced promo issues like this before? Is there a way to fix these issues aside from separating all of my club discounts into multiple promos? (i.e.: 3 different 10% off promos, 3 different 15% promos, 2 different 20% off promos, 3 different event ticket promos, etc.)

Assuming you have gone through each promotion and verified all the right coupling boxes are checkedā€¦ then yes, I would go through and separate the promos for each club into their own coupling pool. It will be annoying, and you should probably make a checklist/plan/naming convention first so you donā€™t miss anything. Youā€™ll probably be happier doing this in the long run.

(I do have club bottle promos co-existing with event ticket promos, but all my clubs are treated equal. I think you end up cracking the promo system when some club promos are grouped together and others branch off. The system just isnā€™t that smart Iā€™m afraid. Try to avoid branching.)

1 Like

The only reasons that a promo wonā€™t apply are:

1. Itā€™s not applicable to them. (make sure that club is checked on the promo)
  2. Something more valuable is applying. (then youā€™re looking at a coupling issue)

When testing promos you should either clear cache or use a new browser because otherwise you get whacky results that arenā€™t what a fresh cart would experience.

I like to make separate groups of promos for each group of people.

1 Like

This. Iā€™ve found you can also log in to your test account and log out, and it clears/resets everything.

This seems to be the path to success.

Wishlist: I still wish that promos would be grouped by ā€˜promo categoryā€™ in the coupling section, and that you could couple a whole group of promos by simply checking the category.

Hereā€™s a tip: Name your promos similarly. e.g. start them all with ā€œGold Club Members - (the promo)ā€, ā€œCase Club Members - (the promo)ā€. It makes them be alphabetically grouped in the coupling field and makes life easier.

1 Like

The club is checked and no other promos apply because the event ticket is the only item in the cart. Itā€™s also not an issue of the test not working due to the cache not clearing: the promo is live and is not working for customers. The promo is set to apply for our 3 different clubs. Itā€™s working for customers in 2 of the clubs, but not for the 3rd club type.

I will be going in and separating all of our promos and will definitely follow the alphabetical advise! I agree that promo category in coupling would be helpful!

The logic the system uses for promo coupling still escapes me. Any good resources out there to understand it? I end up with so many promos, Iā€™m surely overdoing it.

A trick we use on our end (testing email and caching is a pain)ā€¦ In chrome, incognito browser prevents caching. Or in Safari, private browsing.

3 Likes