Shopping Cart does not need 2nd step of the order process

I thought when we upgraded the WineDirect shopping cart in 2019, it would be an even easier way for our customers to order with us, but the 3 step order process did not change from before.

Why is there a 2nd step of the allocation order process? Our customers land on the initial shopping cart page (for us it is the “Purchase Allocations” page) and choose what wines they want and select “add allocation to cart”. Then they go to a 2nd step of the process and have to select the “checkout” button but it’s not the final step of the order. This page is confusing on multiple levels and I feel it should be discarded.

1. The first reason it’s confusing is the “checkout” button on this 2nd step seems like it’s the final step but it’s not the final step. If you have to keep this 2nd step of the order process, there is a small sentence at the top of the page, but it should be moved to right next to or below the big “checkout” button. The sentence is “Please review the contents of your cart. When you have finished please proceed to the check out.” Right now this sentence is easily missed where it is located.
  2. The second reason this page gets confusing to customers is if they want to pick up vs. ship. It doesn’t seem like pick up is an option at this step (the pick up choice is on the 3rd step). Customers might abandon the cart at this step if they think they have to ship their order and they don’t have a choice to pick up their order.
  3. The last reason this page is confusing is for members who live in states where we can’t ship to them as they are unable to get any further in the order process until they choose a different “shipping estimate” state. This is a counter-intuitive step to make customers to choose a different state at this step as this is a summary page and they just want to get to the final step of the order process. Also, the state that is automatically pulled from the member file is pulling the member’s BILLING address not their shipping address on file. If you have to keep this second step, WineDirect needs to make it so the state being pulled is the primary shipping address for the member so they don’t get stuck on this step. But also, what if a member who lives in Utah wants to pick up their order, they would still get stuck on this step.

Hey Kim, are you using WineDirect’s built-in Allocation tools or are you just using the standard online store for your members to effectively purchase their Allocation?

Thanks for the reply! I don’t know if I’m using the standard online store or built-in allocation tools. How do I find out?

Hey Kim,

Does this look familiar?

https://documentation.vin65.com/Store/Allocations

If so, you’re using Allocations. If not, you’re using something else.

Yes, that link is familiar. We are using allocations then and not the standard online store. But the updated shopping cart steps I did last year, did streamline the 3rd step of the allocation tool/online order process. But it kept the 2nd step, which I describe above as more confusing than helpful.

Depending on the complexity of your allocation model, you may be able to use something like the User Choice club tools to better execute this. WineDirect is unlikely to implement your suggestions in the existing cart.