Text Receipt Option Like Square

We have had many customers asking for a text receipt. Will this option be available soon? Or is it already in place and I missed it? Email is on way out for many people’s purpose.

Since rich-text/HTML aren’t really supported through SMS, do you want just a plain-text receipt or a link to a hosted HTML version like Square offers?

I must be out of touch, do people really prefer SMS over email for things like this? Email seems perfect for this sort of information, and SMS seems really clunky. And everyone, including grandma, now has email on their phone.

Positing that email is on the way out is probably technically correct. But that shift for transactional receipts is probably a fraction of a percent versus 2-3 years ago. Email may well be upended, but it’s not going to be by SMS.

I would categorize this feature with a very low bang-to-buck ratio.

New feature request: option to receive receipts via whatsapp and Facebook Messenger.

If one’s goal may be to capture a preferred communication channel, then text message receipts have these advantages:

1. Easier to capture than email address - ten digits and you are done.

2. Approval to market via the customer preferred SMS.

3. I suspect some people like SMS because messages get auto deleted after some time period, unlike email.

Just thinking out loud…

I believe the opt-in requirements are a bit more stringent with SMS, however.

An opt-in is an opt-in is an opt-in…

1 Like

Amen. But SMS in the US are often metered with the carrier and thus fall under FCC jurisdiction.

https://www.intouchsol.com/blog/marketers-should-be-aware-of-new-rules-surrounding-sms-messaging