Email receipt

Is there a way to have a postcode(zip code) field put on the email receipt pop up? This would be handy to see where our ‘guest customers’ are coming from without having them fully signing up as members.

We accomplish this with a pin map and then we invite TR visitors to put a pin on their hometown.

Fun way, but hard to import that data into hard numbers right?

@kimhut123 - currently there is nothing. They have talked about adding it, but if you have the staff. Facebook that name and you should be able to find your customer.

They did add an opt-in check box…which is killer.

Be careful folks. At least in California you CANNOT ask for a zip code during a credit card transaction - unless you are shipping the product, or you are a gas station (they have a specific exemption).

This ruling was in 2011:

http://www.cnn.com/2011/US/02/10/california.credit.zip.code/index.html

Since then a subsequent ruling says you can ask after the transaction is complete (isn’t this fun?):

https://www.huntonprivacyblog.com/2013/01/11/california-ruling-permits-collection-of-zip-codes-after-receipt-is-provided-to-customer/

It sounds like the perfect place and time to ask would be when you ask about emailing the receipt, since the transaction is completed then - as long as you make it clear the info is not required to complete the sale. @carisenr @adriennestillman @Brent @Karson ?

I’m not sure how I feel about mining Facebook…

1 Like

@ElJefe is correct with regards to California, which has some of the strictest privacy laws in the US. It is prohibited to ask for the consumer’s personal contact information, including zip code, as part of the transaction. Best practice is to do so separate from the checkout, and to inform them that it is for marketing purposes.

Any idea if we can set the opt-in check box at check out to default be selected (meaning guests would have to de-select the box to opt-out of email marketing)?

I just figure most guests quickly hit ‘email receipt’ and don’t see the opt-in box so we’re missing a big opportunity to grow our list… Thanks for the input!

1 Like

I agree @wgadmin. I put in a feature request to have the opt-in box moved higher in the email receipt box. If it was just below the email box before the name I think we would get more opt-ins. We use iPads for POS and the pop-up keyboard covers the opt-in box. So we either have to minimize the keyboard and point it out (if we can get in before they hit email receipt!) or type the email address for them and then ask. Moving the box I think could solve it but also auto-checking the box would be great, too.

1 Like