Adding the tipping feature

Historically, our tasting room has not allowed tipping on credit cards. We would like to turn this feature on. Wondering how often tips are paid out to employees. At the end of the night? Or, on a paystub? Also wanted to see if there were added challenges from an accounting perspective and tax wise.

It’s all up to you. Sales reports have a Tip column. I tally it all up each payday.

Is there a way to customize the tip amount options? I believe ours are set at 15%, 20%, and 25%, with an option to “add your own” or “no tip.” We allowed tipping before switching to Vin65, which was more the “old school” method of an additional tip line on the paper receipt.

Long story short - we have had a small amount of negative feedback from customers who did not realize they were tipping as much as they had. For example, 20% on $1500 is a $300 tip! While the tipping screen appears very straightforward, I would image some guests might be rushed, slightly inebriated, or may even think they are tipping $20 instead of 20%. Also, with this new(er) technology most winery visitors are not expecting to be asked for a tip - catching them off-guard and selecting something quickly.

To put numbers behind it, our tasting room staff collected 86% more in tips this July (Vin65) than last July (old system) - without a significant change in our monthly sales. Leading to another concern - staff members becoming more concerned about collecting tips then they are with selling wine and wine clubs.

Tipping can be a great way to boost morale and increase customer service, while increasing the longevity and compensation of employees - although the current set-up in Vin65 (as we understand it) has us rethinking our options.

Not currently. See more info in this thread: Tipping at Wineries

1 Like

It’s Pandora’s box and the genie out of the bottle. Take it away and you’ll be hiring a whole new staff.

You should be concerned and a lot of people on here have raised this issue as well as other even more concerning issues around this tipping implementation - like the potential for fraud - but nothing has been done.

This is a huge issue and we need to get something figured out. Either with Vin65 fixing or taking our business elsewhere as the “request features” does not ever seem to work.

Unrelated, and perhaps not the place to discuss this, but I would like to question the need for tips. Is this worthy of a new topic, or something that should be let go quickly as to not bring out wrath of tasting room personnel.

The toothpaste does not go back in the tube.

1 Like