Combining multiple club pickup orders into one shipment

This is something - in my experience - that members expect a small winery to be able to do. Flip pickup to ship doesn’t work because more than one order is involved - usually from several months ago so I can’t cancel/refund - and you can’t consolidate.

Here’s how I currently do it. I was wondering if there were any other less ugly ways out there. This way assumes that you are using outside fulfillment (WD in my case), and that in-house fulfillment is not an option.

1a. If I have not yet run the most recent club order: I go into the member’s Manage Club and add a note to “ship with orders 123 and 456” which will add a shipping instruction to the order.** Then I run the order.

1b. If I have run the most recent order then I run a new order with only my “club shipping charge” SKU set to the appropriate dollar amount.***

1. When the order gets to WD some minutes or hours later, I edit the order - adding the wines specified in the previous orders and removing the shipping instruction. I also remove the shipping SKU if I did 1b.

Yeah, this screws up inventory, but this is the best way compared to all the others I thought of.

** In WD fulfillment a shipping instruction stalls the order, preventing it from proceeding to fulfillment. This ensures it doesn’t slip past unedited. If you want to wait until it pops up in WD and “catch it” that’s on you.

**** I could possibly do flip to ship on the order, but I’m not sure how I would catch it at WD.