Event Ticket - Function Clarification

Situation: Customer purchased two tickets to an upcoming event. Several days later customer had to cancel, so I advised my employee to process the refund as a return so that ticket inventory would still be correct and we don’t oversell. Now I am creating Event Ticket reports and double checking against inventory.

It’s no surprise to me that the customer’s ticket shows in the report, that’s been discussed here at length. But now I’m sitting here thinking, if I just cancel that original order, the event ticket will no longer show as active in the Event Ticket report and my ticket inventory and Event Ticket report will harmoniously agree.

1. Is this how it’s going to work?
  2. Is cancelling the order going to refund payment a second time?

I’m 99.99% sure that a second refund will not be processed, because there is no active authorization to process against.

I don’t know how it will affect inventory, but if it messes up you can always just adjust it.

Canceling WILL at least get it off of the Event Report.

ps: It is probably good practice to compare sales to the Event report. We’ve had people receive double tickets on more than one occasion.

@danjimerson I don’t believe that you would be allowed to cancel the order once it has been refunded but will let others confirm. I will say that if you balance your cash reports on a daily basis, you will not want to use the cancel / void option if the refund is occurring after the original charge date. Unfortunately, the cancel / void feature goes back in time and removes the original order which will mess up your cash balancing routines and reports.

The double ticket issue is a real problem so take @ElJefe’s recommendation to compare the ticket report against sales . Again, would be nice to have a list of known bugs so that people don’t have to find these things out the hard way. We had a customer click on multiple tickets on our website and each time he did this, the system adds the tickets to the ticket report even though the customer on checkout only purchased two it showed on the report he had purchased about 8. This was a big problem for us because the event was a small dinner and we had closed off sales based on the report and assumption that more tickets had been sold than were actually sold. I do not understand the programming logic that would make this behave this way but Vin65 knows about it but has not fixed it.

1 Like

For the record, I was able to cancel the order. I unchecked "Return Inventory to Website Stock and the system handled that properly by not adjusting inventory on the ticket.

I have another ticket that I’d like to cancel but they purchased other items on the same order. That one was extra fun because when I was attempting to refund the ticket, Vin65 threw in the bug where it forces you to refund tax on items that tax was never paid on originally. I know I could cancel the whole thing and re-charge for the other items but it’s Friday and I’m not creating new points of confusion for my customers today.

If anybody can tell me how to cancel a ticket without cancelling an entire order let me know, I’d be delighted.

Thank you all for posting these issues. As mentioned, this is the only way we all know best practices and possible problems. A little off topic but has anyone used event tickets at $0 to get RSVPs for a wine club pick up party? Are enough people interested in an RSVP option for events in Vin65 vs. having to use evite or some other program?

1 Like

$0 tickets work just fine for RSVPs.

1 Like

I would like RSVPs. We have some issues with $0 tickets in some spots so it doesn’t cut it. Plus it seems lame to have to put in your billing and shipping information for a $0 ticket.

You might want to consider using Paperless Post for this.

Thanks Mark. We often do. I really like its functionality. Their emails are nice too, but I feel like so much time is spent using separate email and event programs that this is something that would improve a winery platform. Paperless Post’s downfall is not selling tickets too! :slight_smile: I’d be happy with either company making an adjustment.

No worries. I thought you were wanting to just to an RSVP type event and was suggesting using the Paperless folks for that and using the events tickets for items you are charging for.

1 Like

RSVPs are most important for wine club events, for me at least. Using a $0 event ticket means I have a record of it in the contact history.

But most of the time I charge a nominal amount because $0 tickets tend to be poor indicators of who actually shows. If they’ve paid any $$ they tend to show up!

1 Like

Hijacking this thread…

When do event ticket system emails end out after the purchase?

Can you select a special system email to be sent per ticket?

Can you change which email receipt is sent per ticket?

1. Immediately on placing the order. (Before you capture and complete.)

2. There is a special email that contains the PDF ticket, but maybe that isn’t what you mean?

3. I’d love to.

I guess for 3 I can run the under “ClubParty” point of sale and have the email be from there?

Also for 1, I have not received my test email from an order I did 24 hours ago.

Changing the POS Profile for each sale sounds like a major pain and a way to make mistakes. (And a while back I had a ticket where after changing from profile A to B it still rang up a couple random orders on A after ringing up a few as Bs. Dunno if they fixed it or not. Beware.)

What does Manage Emails tell you about the test email?

Hi all - you can now cancel the Event Ticket on your Event Ticket report by performing a Return. There is no longer a need to perform a Cancel to remove from the Event Ticket report.

https://documentation.vin65.com/Store/Products/Product-Types/Event-Ticket#Q3

Cheers!

5 Likes

This function will not allow you to refund/cancel zero dollar tickets, however. It would be nice to be able to do that

2 Likes