Importing Products using Templates

Hoping this is in the right category. I am trying to import products that I have entered into the Advanced Template. We are, perhaps, a little different in our business model because we use Vin65 and the POS for both our Wines and Artwork and Merchandise we sell in our Tasting Room. I’ve entered over 100 products that need to be imported, but the system is telling me the file is not in the right format. I’ve imported in the past using the same Excel Template format, so is it a file name extension, or something else that I have failed to do correctly?

While I’m on the subject, is there a way to batch upload/import the photos that are associated with the file names used in the template?

TIA for any advice.

I do a lot of the same with non wine product. Before I import I always download a new advanced sample file, and I use that file for the import. I copy or type everything into it using Paste Special-> text or values so that there is no extra formatting. Also be sure that all required fields (like weight) are set to something, and that your file is saved as an .xlsx file.

1 Like

To see what is required go into the admin panel, Store->Product then Add a Product and choose Product as the Product Type. Things with “*” will be required.

Well, I tried all of the above and am still getting the error message that the file is not in the correct format. Do I have to retype all 100 items into the downloaded template again? Please don’t say yes…this has taken me hours to type all the details in. :rage:

Hey, @tdjohnston. What about just pasting the info you have in your populated spreadsheet back into a fresh version of the product importer template? Did that work for you?

Tried it twice. Kind of frustrated right now, to be honest. There’s no special formatting in my cells that I am aware of, and the file is saved correctly.

How about importing just the first line of the spreadsheet? If it fails, something is wrong with your formatting or mapping. Make sure all of the things that you’re importing into already exist.

And I hear you. We know that this works but we don’t know why it’s not working for you. We’ll just take it one step at a time.

Okay, the first line worked. I didn’t do anything different from what I did when I copied and pasted 100 items…what gives?

Well, this is both progress and good news. Now try the next 10 (or whatever) lines. Somewhere something ain’t quite right and you’re gonna find it here pretty quickly!

I’ve just copied and pasted the list into the exact same template, exact same file and it worked. I don’t know why it is working now…I shouldn’t look a gift horse in the mouth, but I sure would like to know why. LOL
Separate but related topic that was in my original post…is there a way to batch upload photos to go with these imported Products?
Also, thanks for the patient help!

Oh, yeah. I forgot about that question. I recommend that you don’t go this route but this is how you would do it:
Set up an FTP account, then rename all of your product images to be the sku and filetype (this is mostly a suggestion but this will keep you sane; e.g. 12CAB.jpg), transfer those images via the FTP into Vin65. Next, in the image field of the spreadsheet, insert the corresponding filename. This is easy because 12CAB.jpg goes into the image field of the 12CAB product line. Then import the spreadsheet. Next Redo Product Images and don’t touch anything else!

The alternate way to do this it to go to each product and choose the corresponding image from your own computer. I always do it this way and I work at Vin65. Keep sanity in mind here.

I come from the tech industry…sanity is overrated. Hah! Thanks for the help, Zach.

1 Like

Please let us know which route you ended up taking here (and which one ended up working)!

Thanks for playing (as in transitioning to and participating in this forum!)

2 Likes

Safety first! :grin:
I will try an FTP upload when I’m not racing to a deadline, and will report back.
Thanks again for the help!