POS random freeze ups

We’re seeing the POS simply freeze randomly. You might add two products and when you tap the button for a third item nothing happens. It just doesn’t respond. It’s also happened at the charge screen when trying to choose a method of payment. Tap any of the payment choices and nothing happens.

This isn’t a spinning wheel stall. The app is simply unresponsive to user input.

Curiously other things do work, like scrolling the cart. I don’t have a comprehensive list yet of what does continue to function.

I have a suspicion that this behavior may correlate to iOS 9, but I’m not yet sure of that either. It’s happening on more than one of our iPads so it’s not device specific.

The workaround is to exit the app and restart and redo the order, which of course is not optimal on a busy weekend.

Posting this to see if anyone else is seeing this, and compare notes to try and zero in on why it happens.

I saw a similar issue today; it looked like it was locked up when selecting a shipping address…the screen was a bit grayed out…and was non responsive for a few minutes… don’t know what i did exactly… tapped elsewhere on the screen (?)… but finally it kicked me back to the main screen; where I was able to select shipping again and finish the transaction.

My users are reporting random freezing (usually during payment/credit card screen) and app crashing at the login screen, as well.

1 Like

@ElJefe we have heard reports of this and we 100% want to get to the bottom of it asap. One of our efforts is aggregating data on networks where this occurs. Would you do me the favor of filling out this form?

@tpham, I see you’ve already filled it out. Thank you.

Also, Jeff, please let me know if you think I should add or change the form in any way. I always appreciate your feedback!

1 Like

Will do when I get to the office and can run tests. I can tell you now that the network in question is a T1 dedicated only to the iPad POS. That pretty much defines the performance level…

ps: Sorry, now that I think about it. I have actually seen this behavior on three different networks… this one doesn’t seem like something dependent on network.

We have to start from a place where we have faith in the core functionality and performance of the system (otherwise, what are we all doing here). That being said, I very candidly believe that virtually all of the issues having to do with the performance of the POS system are network-related. I say this knowing full-well that you know a ton of stuff and you’ve got the experience that I can only earn one day at a time.

The purpose of the survey isn’t to solve the problems but to identify them. We want help. We will help. If the app needs to change, it will. This is a small step in the right direction.

If you think I should add a “test location” or “tasting room” field so that you can report the results of all of your sales locations, I’d be more than happy to do that.

I know. I can think of ways it could be the network, but it seems unlikely. Occam’s razor and all that. I’ll get you results for all three networks as soon as I can. I can complete the form right now for my home network, where I had it happen to me more than once whilst testing an event setup.

I don’t see that I mentioned this, but: the buttons are unresponsive, but the POS still allowed me to clear the order and I tried again from there. The buttons remained unresponsive. I don’t recall trying a reload but when I see it again I will.

1 Like

Unresponsive buttons is a current selection but let me know if my description doesn’t fully encompass the problem.

Also, let me add a testing location field really quick!

Thanks, @ElJefe!

Ok, added that in there. And please do let me know if there’s anything else I should add or change!

Huh? Link below. I had to click “Share” to get to this link. I don’t see a Direct Link button anywhere.

whoops, cloned the question and forgot to change the regex on that. I bet a pingtest link works in that field. One sec. 10 second fix

Like @ElJefe said; " I can think of ways it could be the network, but it seems unlikely" Our internet speed is pretty decent here; and standing next to an AP without moving there are still issues.

One of the things I noticed; and reported to support… was back in April when we upgraded to the latest app v3.2… that just launching the app and waiting for the login, was noticeably slower… and that’s also where we’re experiencing the app crashing.

I just saw the email about the updated app this morning and will give it whirl and see how it goes over the weekend.

Thanks!

My users are reporting crashes and spinning wheels at login now, when we didn’t used to see that…

1 Like

@zach no Direct Link button:

sorry @ElJefe. that’s all fixed now. the share on speedtest is different from pingtest so replacing ping with speed didn’t work. anyway, should work now.

just updated the messaging too

Sounds like I have to start over.

Pingtest on my mac is asking me to uninstall, reinstall, and update a whole lot of stuff. No packet loss for you right now.

Hey Jeff,

I know you run on an older version of iOS, the update we made was tested on versions of iOS that Apple let’s us(9.3.2+ https://api.ineal.me/tss/status), I’d suggest updating one of your iPads at least to see if that makes a difference.

On the technical side of things, the update was on the browser engine to leverage much of the new technologies apples has released recently.

Shoot me a direct email if you’re seeing massive problems.

1 Like

@ElJefe Yeah, that was the biggest pain. It wouldn’t even calculate Packet Loss on my Mac with Chrome but it did do it in Safari after I installed the newest Java version. I don’t want to exclude Packet Loss though because that’s part of the equation and it’s a smoking gun when trying to trouble shoot these things.

Are you also on version 3.2? Or did you update this morning? Thanks!